Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 Cruiser with Broadcloth upholstery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Cruiser with Broadcloth upholstery?

There is a 1964 Cruiser on the Detroit Craigslist. It looks like it has the Broadcloth upholstery option. Nice project for someone.

Broadcloth is already rare, but on a split bench? - Could count all them on one hand?

Comment

Not as inviting as the '63 version: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=broadcloth

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        Not as inviting as the '63 version: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=broadcloth

Craig
        Here's a '64 Cruiser on eBay that looks like it could have broadcloth to me. If it isn't, I'm surprised somebody went to the bother of doing all the buttons and the width of the vertical 'striping' or bolstering correctly.

Was broadcloth offered in Hamilton cars in '64?

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
          Was broadcloth offered in Hamilton cars in '64?
          Yes, but after Jan 1st, 1964, the choices were reduced to only blue and brown. (See Posts #11 & #42 in that other thread) And there was no broadcloth offered for 1965.

Craig

Comment

Here's a '64 Cruiser on eBay that looks like it could have broadcloth to me. If it isn't, I'm surprised somebody went to the bother of doing all the buttons and the width of the vertical 'striping' or bolstering correctly.
            That was Sam Leighty's car from Kalispell, MT. It is not broadcloth.

When it came to detail, knowing Sam, he would never do a half-assed job of restoring a Studebaker and would go all the way and ensure everything was done correctly.

Craig

Comment

Both Cruisers appear to have all white steering wheels. Does that indicate they were built in Canada? I know all the '65s had the white wheels.

Comment

Sam's car (the listing Bill linked) is a Hamilton car. No idea about the first one, though.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                  I know all the '65s had the white wheels.
                  No they didn't. (mine is black)

StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                    That is correct. Color-keyed steering wheels were a mid-year change in 1965, though at the beginning of the model year, they were white.

Craig

Comment

One of my company cars in 1964 was a Cruiser, black paint, blue broadcloth. It really was beautiful. Our president, Gordon Grundy, had an identical car at the time. One of our SDC members, the late Gene Madjanovich, acquired Gordon's Cruiser and owned it for several years.

Stu Chapman

Comment

OOPS! Never can say all when it comes to Studebakers! <G>
                        Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post

StudeDave '57

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          Yes, but after Jan 1st, 1964, the choices were reduced to only blue and brown. (See Posts #11 & #42 in that other thread) And there was no broadcloth offered for 1965.

Craig
                          The Canadian 1964 Studebaker brochure (PD 64-10) has the Cruiser being available in light blue or brown broadcloth only. All other models, Commander and Daytona (the Challenger was never built in Canada), were available in red, blue, green, and brown. When Studebaker shifted production to Canada, the Canadian plant just continued to build the same models and offer the options as they did before the South Bend plant closure. Also, the Canadian 1964 Cruiser used interior door panels from the Daytona.

The Canadian brochure does not illustrate the Cruiser upholstery choices or the Cruiser interior for those reasons.

Can still remember sitting in the back of a 1964 Cruiser at the 1964 Winnipeg Auto Show, wondering what type of upholstery that was. Was nothing like the cloth and vinyl interiors in the other cars at the show.

For 1965 the Cruiser had cloth and vinyl or all vinyl in blue, red, brown or black. No broadcloth. Door panels on Cruiser and Daytona models were the 1964 US Cruiser style.

Bill
                          Vancouver, BC
                          Bill
                          Vancouver, BC

Comment

The black Cruiser on eBay which I thought might be broadcloth, but wasn't, didn't garner a single bid.

I'm a little surprised at this.

Maybe his starting bid was on the high side, but that car, if it was solid underneath it all, seemed to be worth that opening bid, all day long.

Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

The black Cruiser on eBay which I thought might be broadcloth, but wasn't, didn't garner a single bid.

I'm a little surprised at this.

Maybe his starting bid was on the high side, but that car, if it was solid underneath it all, seemed to be worth that opening bid, all day long.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-C...m=331659524948
                              I agree Bill, very nice car. Put a/c on the car (and repaint the engine at the same time) and it would be a great long-distance 'cruiser'. Perhaps he should have started low (like $2500) and set his reserve at $5,750.

This would be a really nice stablemate for your '66 Bill!
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
                              X