No announcement yet.

Portland OR - What to See -- LeMay Museum any Studebakers other than Avanti #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland OR - What to See -- LeMay Museum any Studebakers other than Avanti #1

We are going to Portland OR next weekend for a family gathering on Friday evening and all day Saturday but are trying to determine what to see and do on Thurs, Friday day and Sunday & Monday. Looks like the LeMay museum would be a 3 hr drive - are there many Studes and what is the overall quality of the collection? May have to leave the museum for another trip as from what I can see we will want to to see do Multnomah Falls and Bridge of the Gods. Having a hard time trying to decide on the Mt Hood Rail Road. Do you see anything that you can not see from the road?

Any pointers appreciated. Thanks

You do know that the Americas Car Museum is in Tacoma, Washington, right?

There are many FINE examples of American Cars of all ages. Harold LeMay did own the Worlds LARGEST Automobile Collection and it included many Commercial vehicles and Trucks of all makes.

So even though there are a LOT of Cars at the ACM, they could only display a small portion of the Thousands he had, and you have to also remember that the Americas Car Museum does not own or display ALL of LeMay's Vehicles, they have some on loan and Own others, the LeMay Family Museum has and owns the rest.

If I remember correctly there are 8 to 12 Studebaker Products there including a beautiful '57 Packard Clipper, I think they have an Avanti but not THE 1001 Avanti yet.
    EVERY Vehicle in there is in pristine condition, there are no driver condition or lower Cars.

It IS definitely impressive, and a must see for Car lovers.

OPEN HOURS Open Thursday – Monday | 10 AM – 5 PM, last entry at 4:30 PM Closed Tuesday & Wednesday to the public, available for private events HOLIDAY HOURS […]

Last edited by StudeRich; 09-19-2015, 07:08 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As a native Oregonian having lived here all of my 64 years I not only recommend seeing Multnomah Falls and Bridge of the Gods, but also recommend traveling one of the earliest paved highways, the Old Columbia River Highway. Although narrow, winding and twisty it has breathtaking scenery especially Crown Point and its switchbacks give you an authentic feel for motoring 100 yeas ago like very few other roads can. I still thrill traveling over it after all these years. If you are into aviation I believe the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville,OR is a good bet. http://evergreenmuseum.org If you enjoy steam locomotives we have 2 of the 5 or 6 largest operating steam locomotives in the US here at http://www.orhf.org/. Hope this has been helpful.

Comment

I agree with Mikado 2-8-2, the Columbia River Gorge is worth a visit; not only for beautiful scenery but as stated the old highway is a great way to see the sights. Crown Point Vista House is a good place to start, and if you are a train buff the UP mainline is nearby. I'd save seeing the ACM for when you don't have to fight I-5 traffic for 3 hours!

Comment

Going to Portland or a suburb? The World of Speed Museum is in Wilsonville, and the WAAAM Museum in Hood River (cars planes motorcycles).
          If there is a book lover among you, hit Powell's downtown, maybe get a sugar high at VooDoo Donuts.
          Aircraft? SW of Portland, out by Hillsboro go to the Classic Aviation Museum, and have a burger at Helvatia Tavern. (You'll probably split an order unless someone is a big eater) The Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum is in McMinnville, and there's the Tillamook Air Museum out on the coast.
          I've never done the Mt. Hood rail trip but my train enthusiast friend says it's fantastic. The 'stern wheeler' river boat trips up the Columbia are great too.
          Last edited by Dwain G.; 09-19-2015, 07:53 PM.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I would definitely get out to Hood River to visit WAAAM. There are planes, automobiles, motorcycles, and a lot more. I have been out there several times and still have not seen everything. They have a very nice display of Studebakers including a 1901 Doctor's buggy and a Goat Wagon. You won't be disappointed. Here is a link to their website. http://www.waaamuseum.org/
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Adding to post 3 above, if you like aviation and want to see The Spruce Goose, go see the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum. I had the chance to see it when I was in Long Beach CA about 20 years ago. It's impressive.

Regarding LeMay - America's Car Museum in Tacoma, there are apparently more Studebakers and Packards at the LeMay family collection at the Marymount Event Center in Tacoma than at the ACM. See http://www.lemaymarymount.org/ for more information and directions.
              Last edited by Mark L; 09-19-2015, 09:51 PM.
              Mark L

Comment

Ditto post # 3. Did the Evergreen Aviation Museum 3 weeks ago after the Kelso meet. Just to stand beside an SR-71 Blackbird is quite the experience not to mention Hughes Spruce Goose. You won't be sorry. For a funky place to stay we experienced the Hotel Oregon in downtown McMinnville (where the Evergreen is located). They have a UFO as well!

Comment

Thanks to all for the great leads. Nothing like asking the locals what is good to see. Thanks

Comment

Both Waaam and Evergreen should be at the top of your list.

Comment

I agree on the WAAAM, the neat thing about that museum is everything on display their is actually driven and flown from time to time. They actually have the very first Curtis Flyer there, Serial #1. And much to the dismay of the Smithsonian, they do fly it! Couple that with the beautiful drive up the Gorge and back and it will be a nice day for you.
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
                        I agree with Mikado 2-8-2, the Columbia River Gorge is worth a visit; not only for beautiful scenery but as stated the old highway is a great way to see the sights. Crown Point Vista House is a good place to start, and if you are a train buff the UP mainline is nearby. I'd save seeing the ACM for when you don't have to fight I-5 traffic for 3 hours!
                        If my geography is correct, The Dalles is in this area where Steve Hudson's '53 custom convertible lives. My dream is to see Pat Dilling's '53 custom and Steve's car parked next to each other along with ours. Looks like we will join Pat in Las Vegas for the PSW zone meet in a few weeks.
                        Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                        jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Working...
                        X