Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi millionaire investor prefers his Lark to his Rolls!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi millionaire investor prefers his Lark to his Rolls!

I happened to be reading a copy of the April 28, 1961 issue of LIFE magazine over lunch today (I have an almost complete collection from 1936 on). In an article about a gigantic financial tussle between Allan Kirby and the Murchison Brothers of Texas over Alleghany there was an almost full page front view of a Rolls-Royce (as shown below). The caption reads Further in the article it states that the Rolls was a gift from his children as Kirby himself eschewed public displays of wealth. Interesting to know that a man worth in excess of $300 million in 1961 dollars preferred the Lark to his Rolls! Wonder if he had the V-8 or Six?

Click image for larger version

Name:	kirby lark owner.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1748600
    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 09-15-2015, 11:12 PM.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Goes to show money cannot buy happiness- Happy As A Lark! Get It?
    JS
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Maybe he's like the spiritual predecessor to Warren Buffet and his used mud brown Oldsmobile station wagon. Although, I don't know if he still has it since that story goes back to when they were still making Oldsmobiles.

BTW, I've heard that a Rolls requires a few thousand dollars in skilled dealership maintenance per year. So I'm guessing that it's conspicuous consumption in that somebody can brag that they have so much money to burn that they can deliberately buy and fed a white elephant year after year.
      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

This reminds me of a local man that I know. He was a founder of a very large organization that we all know, but will remain nameless for his privacy. He used to buy and drive new Mercedes. He got tired of the problems/repairs with the M-Bs and in recent years he bought new Honda Accords and is happy with them. Both dealerships are within a few miles of where he resides. Just in money that I know of, he gives away enough each year to buy several new M-Bs.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've known a few who drove unassuming, low-key vehicles, despite their wealth. One individual I knew owned a lumber yard including the land it sat on, and several buildings nearby that were fully leased on both sides of a major thoroughfare. His car was a base model Valiant 4 door sedan with slant-six.

Craig

Comment

If you drive a Lark today you sand out in a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
              If you drive a Lark today you sand out in a crowd.
              That's for sure! Not sure if it includes all areas of the nation, but I am seeing a LOT more Porsches, Ferraris, Maseratis, Lamborghinis, Bentleys, RR's driving around than I did 20 years ago!!

Craig

Comment

Wonder if Donald Trump would drive a Lark?

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                JS
                Lew Schucart
                Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

My father went to Lawrenceville with Clint Murchison, he never mentioned him much other than his dad being an oil baron and owning the Dallas Cowboys.

Comment

Sounds like Allan Kirby was the King CASO!

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                      JS
                      It's true that money can't buy happiness. It can't buy poverty either.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Hedge fund managers!
                        Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        That's for sure! Not sure if it includes all areas of the nation, but I am seeing a LOT more Porsches, Ferraris, Maseratis, Lamborghinis, Bentleys, RR's driving around than I did 20 years ago!!

Craig
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Here in the Puget Sound area, we have probably the highest concentration of exotic cars, or at least the highest concentration of those purchased with legitimate wealth (I have never been to Miami). Microsoft and other cyber industry firms have created an amazing number of millionaires. What I don't know is what these guys drive to work every day.

If I were wealthy, I think I would still get the most satisfaction from driving these vehicles that I have created or modified myself. I think many of the owners of those very exotic super cars would not know how to change their own spark plugs.
                          Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                          See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Do you have a picture of the Lark? Does it have white wall tires?ccc

Comment

While talking with a Tesla assistant manager a couple weeks ago, I learned that very wealthy people come in and shop for a Tesla. He told me a man spoke with him who had a Rolls. He recently took it in for scheduled maintenance and the bill was $13,000!! The Rolls owner told him his car is/was wonderful and very luxurious but, wasn't happy with his ownership costs. Goes to show people are people and car expenses do matter (to some of them at least). So, sure the subject of this post would rather drive a Lark if for nothing else than to NOT draw stares from other motorists plus the Lark was most likely more economical to operate.
                              JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Working...
                              X