Middletown fire gets a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middletown fire gets a Studebaker

One of our Karel Staple chapter members has apparently lost his house and '59 Lark in the Valley Fire, Middletown CA. Reportedly, he was able to save his '52 Land Cruiser.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I'm so sorry to hear of there loss. This year fires are the worst.

Comment

Likewise. Sorry to hear the bad news.
      We have family in Pioneer who just missed the fire. They were evacuated, but just go the "all clear" to go back home. It was close.
      sals54

Comment

A very tragic event for Peter and Jennifer. This would be the Lark lost.

Perry
        \'50 Business Champion
        \'50 Starlight Champion
        \'60 Lark Convertible,
        \'63 GT R1,
        \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

When I saw the story of the fire on the news I wondered if any of our members were involved. That is a very pretty car. It is a shame it is now lost to the owners and the Studebaker community.
          It is good news that he was able to rescue the '52 Land Cruiser.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I don't remember so many fires in California. There have always been a few, but this year is exceptional. My heart goes out to all those Californians who are suffering due to the fires. Of couse, the loss of a beloved Studebaker is tragic.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I always admired THAT 1960 Lark, it was a real beauty, a V8 Regal. I am so sorry to hear of their loss.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by fpstude View Post
                A very tragic event for Peter and Jennifer. This would be the Lark lost.

This is not the car that was lost. They sold this car to buy a Tahiti Coral Hardtop. That was the one that was lost. People that follow studebakers on facebook might know this member as Ganesha Das. He was out driving his studebaker for IDYSD and when he returned home, he barely had time to get his family out. Great loss for him and his beloved Harbin Hot Springs resort.

Here is a picture of Peter and Jennifer. The Karel Staple Chapter is puting together some relief for them so if you would like to help, please contact our club president, Pat Dilling.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	pswzm14 023.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1700351 Click image for larger version

Name:	pswzm14 228.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1700352
                Last edited by Sdude; 09-16-2015, 05:10 AM.
                Jon Stalnaker
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I, too, am sorry to hear of this news. My folks lost their home back in the 90's to a fire. Insurance can build a new house and include funds to replace your car but the loss of a lifetime of memories and keepsakes can't be bought. I wish both of you the best during this difficult time. Stay strong!

Comment

I am only about 3 miles for on the Butte Fire and I then it started getting close I got my stude the hell out of here. Very sorry to here a similar fire took away that stude, I'm sure there were some burned up out here as well. Sad days....

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                      This is not the car that was lost. They sold this car to buy a Tahiti Coral Hardtop. That was the one that was lost. People that follow studebakers on facebook might know this member as Ganesha Das. He was out driving his studebaker for IDYSD and when he returned home, he barely had time to get his family out. Great loss for him and his beloved Harbin Hot Springs resort.

Here is a picture of Peter and Jennifer. The Karel Staple Chapter is puting together some relief for them so if you would like to help, please contact our club president, Pat Dilling.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]47470[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]47471[/ATTACH]
                      Thank goodness, all is alright. It is good news to hear that, most importantly, the family is safe. I am also happy to hear that the Lark that was pictured was spared. I had the honor of seeing the car and the family in costume at the McClellan AFB zone meet in Sacramento last year. Great people, I wish them well during there time of trouble.
                      1947 Studebaker M-5
                      1946 Studebaker M-5
                      1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                      1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                      1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Middletown.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	1700375 The 52 in front was saved. In the background is the Tahiti Coral 59 that was lost. (and the garage)
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

So sorry to hear of the loss. However shop, keepsakes, car, and house can be replaced. Thankfully the most important of all, the family, were saved. Though the hard-tops weren't as common, Larks are. So replacing the toasted car shouldn't be too very difficult. Best of all luck to Peter, Jennifer, and their family, God has already blessed you and will continue to do so.
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

As treasure of the Karel Staple chapter I'm sure proud of our members. Today we raised, thru a parts auction and donation plate, over $3000 to help out our members Peter Braun and Jennifer Brown who lost their home and Lark in the Valley Fire, Middletown CA. Great job guys and gals!
                            Lou Van Anne
                            62 Champ
                            64 R2 GT Hawk
                            79 Avanti II

Comment

Here is what remains of Jennifer's 59 hardtop. I spoke to Peter last night and he is confident they will get through this and are somewhat overwhelmed by the support from the Studebaker community and our chapter. As others have said, the most important thing is they are safe.

Last edited by Pat Dilling; 09-21-2015, 07:14 AM.
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X