1957 Wheelcover Availability??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Wheelcover Availability??

My 57 GH has very nice looking knock off wire wheels, they are made by Kelsey-Hayes. Unfortunately after pulling them and taking a look the drivers and hubs are very worn, near to being unsafe, and I'll need to replace with the correct steel wheel rims and wheel covers. Found a thread from 2011 mentioning that at that time Richard Quinn had some repro's as well as SI. Sure by this time those must be gone. Does anyone know of a set of AC-2799 or AC-2841 that are available?

My PO doesn't specify what came on the car and the sales order just specifies full wheel discs. Studebaker of Australia lists a set of the spoke covers but it is the repro, they don't have any and don't know if they'll be produced again. Hate to pull the wires off but it will be a necessity before too much longer if I really want to drive her.
    Last edited by Mark Klinger; 09-14-2015, 01:29 PM. Reason: changed name

I have multiple sets of the AC-2841s.
    But I am unsure of where they are at this moment.

You see- I am in the middle of moving my shop.

If you remind me in a week or two~
    I'll see if I can find them and figure out what I have.

Are you looking for show quality, nice drivers, or some that might need some work?

StudeDave '57
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Regular full wheelcovers were standard equipment on 1957 Golden Hawks. This is what your car would have had unless something else (such as the imitation spoke type) is listed on the production order (or the dealer installed something else).

I probably have some used spoke type, but they would not be suitable for a show car (dents/scratches).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
        I have multiple sets of the AC-2841s.
        But I am unsure of where they are at this moment.

You see- I am in the middle of moving my shop.

If you remind me in a week or two~
        I'll see if I can find them and figure out what I have.

Are you looking for show quality, nice drivers, or some that might need some work?

StudeDave '57
        That sounds great, I'll be in touch next week. Looking for at least nice drivers, leaning to show quality if I can get them. I believe the 2841 would be correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Klinger View Post
          My 57 GH has very nice looking knock off wire wheels, they are made by Kelsey-Hayes. Unfortunately after pulling them and taking a look the drivers and hubs are very worn, near to being unsafe, and I'll need to replace with the correct steel wheel rims and wheel covers. Found a thread from 2011 mentioning that at that time Richard Quinn had some repro's as well as SI. Sure by this time those must be gone. Does anyone know of a set of AC-2799 or AC-2841 that are available?

My PO doesn't specify what came on the car and the sales order just specifies full wheel discs. Studebaker of Australia lists a set of the spoke covers but it is the repro, they don't have any and don't know if they'll be produced again. Hate to pull the wires off but it will be a necessity before too much longer if I really want to drive her.

Mark;
          I had 512 (128 sets) of these caps reproduced back in 2003. I quickly sold about 100 sets and then wholesaled some of the remainder to Ed Reynolds at Studebaker International. I just checked and find I have one NOS cover that was used as the sample and one reproduction remaining. I am attaching a photo of the reproduction. If interested in either or both send me a pm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1700335
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Hello . Do you have any of the AC-2799 remaining ? I need a set for my 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk. If these were not mentioned on the original order form is it more proper to keep the original wheel covers AC-2841 or use the upgrades that were not ordered originally.
            Thanks

Comment

I believe most 1956 Hubcaps ate the same as 1957 except http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/hubstory.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Pdskinner View Post
                Hello . Do you have any of the AC-2799 remaining ? I need a set for my 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk. If these were not mentioned on the original order form is it more proper to keep the original wheel covers AC-2841 or use the upgrades that were not ordered originally.
                Thanks
                I would think it best to keep the car as original as possible.
                This is even more important each day as more are customized. Of course an easily switched part like hubcaps is no big deal, just be sure to save your originals.

Comment

Any more AC-2499 Sets for sale
                  Thx

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry meant AC 2799
                  Sets available

Comment

My 57 GH has very nice looking knock off wire wheels, they are made by Kelsey-Hayes. Unfortunately after pulling them and taking a look the drivers and hubs are very worn, near to being unsafe.
                    For our education and the good of the order, can you post photos of the wear and what determines being unsafe? I've only seen Borrani and Dayton wire knock-off systems and am unsure of what K-H used and how it might wear.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      For our education and the good of the order, can you post photos of the wear and what determines being unsafe? I've only seen Borrani and Dayton wire knock-off systems and am unsure of what K-H used and how it might wear.

jack vines
                      These have the Dayton adapters which bolt to the drums. The back of the wheels are machined to match the adapters which are threaded for the knock offs. The rears are worn on the wheel hub as well as the adapter, which allows the wheel to turn on the drum if the k/o is loose. Both rear wheels are like this, have to use blue Locktite on the threads to keep the k/o from loosening. I can replace the adapters but the 2 wheels are not too safe and cannot be rebuilt. The pyramid pattern should be sharply defined. The two front are fine since they only roll, there's no power to them.

This type of wheel was supposedly used on the original Excalibur in 1963. Looks like a match looking at a photo but of course those are chromed. Now I have two of them that are good,too bad it isn't four. Hope this helps.

worn Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4455.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1703124 goodClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4462.jpg
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1703118 worn adapterClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4456.jpg
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1703119Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4451.jpg
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1703120Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4450.jpg
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1703121Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4449.jpg
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1703122Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4447.jpg
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1703123

Comment

Thanks for the photos. At a guess, Kelsey Hayes rolled the rims and sold them to Dayton, who laced the wires and provided the hubs. It's probable Dayton was the retail seller of the wheels, including to Excaliber and Studebaker dealers.

I've only seen a few sets of Daytons but never seen them wear like that. I can postulate a couple of methods to salvage those wheels, assuming free access to a lathe and unlimited hand work bench time. Probably more cost-effective to buy two more good used Dayton wheels than to buy, sndblast, paint steel wheels and buy good wheelcovers. Make sure they're close to Maine, as wire wheels are heavier than the hubs of hell to ship.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Any AC-2799 (4) for sale
                          Thanks
                          Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X