53 Gas Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Gas Tank

I have a 53 Hardtop and looking to replace my gas tank. I understand they are not being reproduced but has anyone found one from another car which can be modified to work on my car? I'm looking for a tank because I am going to modify the tank for fuel injection using an in-tank fuel pump.
    Thanks very much!

Use a 48 Merc. tank. It's a 48G from tanks inc. I was going to do a little tech on this, but forgot to get all the pics. Anyway, I planned to get some pictures tomorrow of the modification. I will try and post tomorrow. The tank is a little deeper on the rear, but a good fit . It has the openings for all pumps and a S.W. sender works. I spent hours trying to find one to fit. this was about the easiest I could find. Here's the top side of the tank I used. I will post more info.

Comment

Thanks Tex! Look forward to seeing your photos. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can benefit from this.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing your How-To, Tex.

Pancho, if you want a stock tank, I replaced the one in my '53 with a perfect used one, and sold the original to Barry Hackney. It was solid but needed the 30 year old varnish cleaned out of it. He may still have it available. He's at http://studebakersite.com/

Comment

Pancho,
          Unless at least half your tank is totally missing, it's salvageable. DO NOT SCRAP IT !!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I thought someone said the 1955 chevy was pretty close ?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7285.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1700293Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7286.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	1700294

These were posted some time back...Tanks Inc 1941-54 Buick
              Bill Foy
              1000 Islands, Ontario
              1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

If you need one for fuel injection, check out the 94-96 Caprice/Impala gas tanks. My son has parted out many of those cars and the Muscle car guys are always looking for those tanks to use when swapping in the LS power. I seem to recall the tank looked similar in size and shape to the Stude tank. The only thing is, you may have to change to a trunk access filler.
                sals54

Comment

Captain Billy's photo is of the tank I used... it came from Tanks Inc & is their model B1-A. I think Bob Palma is going to have something about that project in an upcoming TURNING WHEELS.

Comment

OK, here we go with some pictures of the gas tank install. But first, let me say, I would have used an original tank if I could find one. I had my original tank cleaned and lined. This didn't last. And I am not suggesting anyone should use this tank rather than the one you wanna use. I AM saying, for me , this was the best for me. No moving necks or soldering in fittings. The neck lines up with the original location, and uses the same size filler neck hose. The sender is a S.W. type. I used a 385B-F left hand swing. I will post the template of the rear mounting brackets I used if any one is interested. (if I can find it) Here's a view from rear. I am using a 55 valance, but took picture with it off.

Here's a shot of both rear mounts. They are fabricated from 1/8" steel.

Here's a shot of the right rear close.

Here's the left rear close. You will notice the rear bolts are where the valance sits. I could have used one bolt on rear, BUT. Anyway the bolts will go thru where the valance mounts. I will drill more holes,

Left side front. You can use the original frame bracket on this side. But don't try to use another left on the right. Ask me how I know. Neil Thornton was nice enough to send me one, and I buthered it trying to make it work. Ended up fabricating both sides. But like I say you can use the original left.

Here's the right side front. The cross bar is 1" square tubing. The tank mount matches up with this and is bolted in the middle

Comment

Fabulous work. I love it. When I go LS on my Coupe, I'll need some details. Do you have a file for this install? Pics and descriptions? It appears to be fairly straight forward, but ya never know.
                      sals54

Comment

Originally posted by 14x7 View Post
                        I thought someone said the 1955 chevy was pretty close ?
                        the chebby tank can be made to work on 53-8 sedans and 49-52 cars, but not on 53-64 c/k models

Comment

Nice work Tex! I think this will work for me. My tank will be available. It was cleaned and relined some 10-15 years ago. It's in good shape but not for modifying.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                            Fabulous work. I love it. When I go LS on my Coupe, I'll need some details. Do you have a file for this install? Pics and descriptions? It appears to be fairly straight forward, but ya never know.
                            Yep Sal, I saved these pictures. I have all the info if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pancho View Post
                              Nice work Tex! I think this will work for me. My tank will be available. It was cleaned and relined some 10-15 years ago. It's in good shape but not for modifying.
                              Well on top of mine being bad , I also was going to install a vent and a return line system. This tank has a place for all the above and you can use a in tank pump. Hope it helps and works for you. Look on Tans inc site and get good info on the tank. (48G)

Comment

Working...
                              X