Look What I was doing today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look What I was doing today

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

We went to Bruces Shop for David to show him and set up his new Wire Feed welder. See I had dinner all set up so I took an hour or so off to help out. There are a few funny stories that go with this thread. I'll let Bruce tell you. Anyhow thought you would get a kick out of it.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    Fresno,Ca

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Well Anne wasn't given the name "Eagle Eye Anne" for nothing, and she earned it BIG time yesterday. I've been stick welding since I was 19, but after bringing home my project car from Dryer Nevada , 1951 Champion, I needed to up grade to a wire welder for lighter ga. mtrl. so I bought a Miller matic 135 and that was seven or so years
    ago. Well the fire has been burning to work on the Champ so I asked David to show me the ropes on my new seven year old welder, David with welding being one of his many talents was the one to go to, any way I had every thing set up for class, my shinny new old welder and all the tools and material ready to do the job. Then they arrive Anne, David and Bob taking time from there Turkey day to help me out, the first words from David "isn't that pretty" looking at my shinny unused welder, so David gets started checking every thing, the gas, installing the wire, then ask me where are the tips??
    and after seven years ??, I was sure everything was on the bottom tray of the cart, I didn't know, every thing came crashing
    down, we were SOL, a grinding halt, call it quits and put every thing away........then Anne says "What's that" pointing to 4
    copper threaded posts sticking from there molded plastic resting place inside the welder, David says "I always thought
    they were in a plastic bag some where on a work bench" not knowing there was a place for them, we were back in business
    Eagle Eye Anne had saved the day again. David showed me the ropes on the welder and we all took turns welding even Anne. It was a fun day, nice to have friends like Anne and David, they always go out of there way to help and they would give you the shirt off of there backs. Thank You Anne and David

"Red" 1951 Champion, Starlight
    "project car" 51 Champion

Comment

Well Anne wasn't given the name "Eagle Eye Anne" for nothing, and she earned it BIG time yesterday. I've been stick welding since I was 19, but after bringing home my project car from Dryer Nevada , 1951 Champion, I needed to up grade to a wire welder for lighter ga. mtrl. so I bought a Miller matic 135 and that was seven or so years
      ago. Well the fire has been burning to work on the Champ so I asked David to show me the ropes on my new seven year old welder, David with welding being one of his many talents was the one to go to, any way I had every thing set up for class, my shinny new old welder and all the tools and material ready to do the job. Then they arrive Anne, David and Bob taking time from there Turkey day to help me out, the first words from David "isn't that pretty" looking at my shinny unused welder, so David gets started checking every thing, the gas, installing the wire, then ask me where are the tips??
      and after seven years ??, I was sure everything was on the bottom tray of the cart, I didn't know, every thing came crashing
      down, we were SOL, a grinding halt, call it quits and put every thing away........then Anne says "What's that" pointing to 4
      copper threaded posts sticking from there molded plastic resting place inside the welder, David says "I always thought
      they were in a plastic bag some where on a work bench" not knowing there was a place for them, we were back in business
      Eagle Eye Anne had saved the day again. David showed me the ropes on the welder and we all took turns welding even Anne. It was a fun day, nice to have friends like Anne and David, they always go out of there way to help and they would give you the shirt off of there backs. Thank You Anne and David

Comment

Welds usually don't break.
        What usually breaks is the parent metal immediately next to the weld bead.
        One thing about MIG welding sheet metal.
        Know what wire you are using, and what gas you are using.
        Your local hardware probably sells a very hard wire and if they swap tanks, have a straight gas.
        This makes for a very 'hard' weld that can be the source of some cracks.
        It also can mean a LOT more grinding on sheet metal work.
        Some of that grinding can get the sheet metal hot enough to warp.
        A good 'soft' wire and multi-gas mix can make all the difference in the world.
        I suggest a trip to the Miller store, and to your welding gas supplier (who probably has the wire, too) and tell him what you are up to and he will make a suggestion as to what you should be doing.
        I do that still, and have not been steered wrong, or disappointed yet.
        Hope the info helps.
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by smaclean
        <snip>
        Has anyone else had experince with welds breaking?
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Welds usually don't break.
          What usually breaks is the parent metal immediately next to the weld bead.
          One thing about MIG welding sheet metal.
          Know what wire you are using, and what gas you are using.
          Your local hardware probably sells a very hard wire and if they swap tanks, have a straight gas.
          This makes for a very 'hard' weld that can be the source of some cracks.
          It also can mean a LOT more grinding on sheet metal work.
          Some of that grinding can get the sheet metal hot enough to warp.
          A good 'soft' wire and multi-gas mix can make all the difference in the world.
          I suggest a trip to the Miller store, and to your welding gas supplier (who probably has the wire, too) and tell him what you are up to and he will make a suggestion as to what you should be doing.
          I do that still, and have not been steered wrong, or disappointed yet.
          Hope the info helps.
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by smaclean
          <snip>
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I've got the same welder a MillerMatic 135. I've been pretty happy with it. I've welded in new floors with it on the 64 daytona and recently i've spot welded a new bottom plate on the frame with it plus a little bit of other minor frame repair.

Although I think the welding is alright I have a big fear of everything flying apart the first time I have to slam the brakes on the car.

Comment

I've got the same welder a MillerMatic 135. I've been pretty happy with it. I've welded in new floors with it on the 64 daytona and recently i've spot welded a new bottom plate on the frame with it plus a little bit of other minor frame repair.

Although I think the welding is alright I have a big fear of everything flying apart the first time I have to slam the brakes on the car.

Comment

Thanks Jeff for the heads up, didn't know about the different wire to gas mixture, before I make any important welds I'll check with my local welding supplier.
                Bruce

Comment

Thanks Jeff for the heads up, didn't know about the different wire to gas mixture, before I make any important welds I'll check with my local welding supplier.
                  Bruce

Comment

Anne,
                    Good catch. I really enjoy reading and seeing about your projects, friends, and family. Keep us posted.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                    53 Starliner Hardtop
                    Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Anne,
                      Good catch. I really enjoy reading and seeing about your projects, friends, and family. Keep us posted.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                      53 Starliner Hardtop
                      Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Working...
                      X