Rear end changes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Rear end changes.

I have a 61 Lark with the six cylinder engine and automatic transmission, I have some rear end questions..
    I am thinking of changing the gears in the rear end to be able to go highway speeds. (The car seems reved up after 55 mph). I never have done this job before so..

1. What would the numbers be on my rear end gears now. ie, stock?
    2. What gears and numbers would I need?
    3. Who has these parts?
    4. What is the procedures to change the gears?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    David G. Nittler

Its a lot easier and cheaper to change the complete housing. There should be a tag on your differential telling you what your current ratio is. If you have a 331 you can look for a 307 and that will give you what you are looking for. A six auto can be pretty lazy if you make drastic changes. If it were mine, I would only switch to the next available ratio: that is if you have a 354 go to the 331, 373 go to the 354. Backing plates with brakes intact are easily moved from 1 housing to another. Don't use a Dana as you will have to shorten your drive shaft and you don't need a Dana in a 6 cyl Lark. Should be lots available from our flea market vendors.

Bob
    Bob
    Welland Ontario
    60 Lark Convertible
    64 Daytona
    sigpic
    "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Likely, you have 3.73 as the standard ratio axle. If I were 90% driving flat country, I'd think 3.31 at the very most.

Comment

Working...
      X