64 289 smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 64 289 smoking

it was a hot day,i was running erands I wason the highwayoff and on,mostly off. I come to a stop lite and noticed what appeared to be lite smoke. coming from around the hood and wheel well. when I take off the smoke disappears.got the car back to my garage. poped the hood,checked the radiator ok, check the oil level ok.i don't know why ,but I look under the hood again couple of minutes AFTER I cheked the afor mention item. WHEN I noticed at the base of the 2 barrel carburetor by the idle adjusting screw I saw vapor blow out with pressure behind it. I have since driven the car,and have not experience that again.any thoughts on this.

I dunno, but enough smoke to come out the hood edge and the wheel well is NOT good, and could be dangerous. I would solve the mystery before taking it out of the driveway again.

Comment

This could be a whole lot of things, I would not rule out Brakes!
      The front brakes may have tightened up from Brake Fluid leakage on the linings, or grease.

There could be Fuel or Oil on the Exhaust Manifolds, I would check EVERYTHING before driving it again.

Have you checked the Gauges for normal Ammeter reading, Oil Pressure, Temp.?
      How about Power Steering Fluid? Transmission Fluid?
      Last edited by StudeRich; 09-07-2015, 09:13 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Check compression. Maybe combustion gasses passing thru pvc valve. Shouldn't 64s have positive crankcase vent?

Comment

If I were to guess it's from oil leaking around the valve cover gaskets onto the exhaust manifold, usually toward the back of the engine due to the slight backward tilt of the engine. Switching from cork to neoprene gaskets will help.
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Check your breather cap(s) make sure they are clean, excessive crankcase pressure can cause a variety of issues.

Comment

Working...
            X