Studebaker Night At The Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Night At The Movies

Last night several members of the Northwest Club out of Portland, Oregon went to the movies. The DRIVE-IN movie theater in Newberg, Oregon to be exact. Sponsored by the combined Studebaker and Edsel clubs this event was open to all classic and modified cars. The Edsel club has been sponsoring this event now for 23 years and graciously teamed up with our Studebaker club to help the event grow. The movie was "ET", an all time favorite. We could have had a lot more classic cars there but we had a great time. Here are a few photos from the event. Do any other Studebaker clubs host or participate in a drive-in movie night?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2917.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1748488Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2910.jpg
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1748489Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2909.jpg
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	1748490Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2913.jpg
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1748491Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2906.jpg
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	1748492Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2915.jpg
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1748493Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2920.jpg
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1748494Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2922.jpg
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1748495Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2921.jpg
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1748496
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Great idea but it is very limited due to so VERY few areas even HAVING an operational Drive IN anymore.

They could have at least seen something like "CARS" though!

The Ugly MoPar with the "Adopted" Edsel Grille is pretty funny!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-06-2015, 09:32 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Great idea but it is very limited due to so VERY few areas even HAVING an operational Drive IN anymore.

The Ugly MoPar with the "Adopted" Edsel Grille is pretty funny!

We have three seasonally (they do not plow them) operating drive-in movies here in Dutchess County, NY (suburban area). We used to have others, including one in Fishkill that I remember watching them build (about 1949) and tear down to make a shopping center.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Honda is trying to save them! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ve-In-Theaters

Craig

Comment

This is right Craig. In fact, the 99W Drive-in in Newberg was one of the recipients of a free digital projector from Honda.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Boy that looks like fun. I wish we still had a drive-in movie theater near here.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

We have 2 right here in my area. the closest one to me is the Van Buren Drive In, Riverside & the other is the Rubidoux Drive In, both owned by the same company and both getting large attendance.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

We used to have many drive-in movie theaters here on Long Island, but they're all gone now. The properties where they existed are much too valuable. So instead, shopping centers and houses were built. It's a shame, but the almighty dollar reigns supreme in those cases.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                  We used to have many drive-in movie theaters here on Long Island, but they're all gone now. The properties where they existed are much too valuable. So instead, shopping centers and houses were built. It's a shame, but the almighty dollar reigns supreme in those cases.
                  Rog
                  Yep, the same thing has happened in the Twin Cities. I think there is still one drive in left about 30 miles east of me. I much prefer the drive in to the indoor theaters.

Comment

I just remembered that where there was a large drive-in movie where there now sits a large Audi dealership. It's in Jericho, Long Island. Go figure.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Commander Eddie I don't know how long you have lived in Oregon but I been here 64 years since I was born. I remember a lot of the Drive In theaters. The Sandy Blvd Drive In that is the TriMet park and ride on Sandy Blvd, the Powell Drive In off of Powell south of Kelly Butte, the 104th Street Drive In south of Powell on 104th, the Oregon City Drive In up on the bluff which charged a dollar a car to get in no matter how many people, the Foster Drive In on the flood plain of Johnson Creek, the 82nd Street Drive In, the Hazel Dell Drive In in Vancouver, Portland Speedway and Amphitheater near Delta Park, the Swan Drive In Lincoln City which is now the Outlet Mall and of the 99W Drive in which is in Newberg is the one you posted about. l have probably missed a couple and your post brought back memories and Dundee at one time was the most notorious speed trap in Oregon, in the 50's & 60's something like 90% of the city revenues were from traffic fines. The AAA had an alert out for their members. It was known as the Nut Capital of the world in reference to it's hazelnuts or filberts but the nut orchards have been giving way to vineyards and world class wineries. I wish I would have known about this, I would have loved to attend. even though I don't own either car.
                      Last edited by Mikado282; 09-07-2015, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Mikado282, also a popular drive-in in Woodburn right up until the 90's.
                        I live in the Red Hills of Dundee, surrounded by vineyards. It was all forest when we moved here in 1997.
                        Tell ya what, if we do this again next year you can drive one of my two Studebakers, I'll drive the other one. We'll have some great fun.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Wow, you attended a car show and a drive-in showed up. Very cool.
                          Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                          jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                            I just remembered that where there was a large drive-in movie where there now sits a large Audi dealership. It's in Jericho, Long Island. Go figure.
                            Rog
                            I believe that we went to that one in 1961 in my 1957 President Classic.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hagerty Insurance sponsored a Night at the Movies in early July in the Chicagoland area. They rented out the Cascade Drive-in Theatre on North Avenue in West Chicago for a Friday night and invited the Chicago area Hagerty Insured to bring their Classics in. Upon arriving, we were given candy, coupons for popcorn and drinks. There were between 200 - 300 cars there of every make and model. I had an Aston Martin DB3 on one side of my Avanti and a Cadillac convertible on the other side. It was a great evening
                              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X