No announcement yet.

Conversion to an automatic Trans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Conversion to an automatic Trans.

The vehicle is a 62' champ 289, T-150 w/OD
    Runs and drives nicely. I was told if I wanted to convert over to an automatic, I'd have to change my rear-end gears.. Which I believe are 4.55 or something close to that number. Can someone chime in and confirm? It's a Dana 44.
    Again nothing wrong with what I have, it's a handful to drive and gets tiring on long drives.

It isn't REQUIRED that you change rear gears, but seriously, you are going to want to unless you put in an OD tranny like a 200R4.

Those 4.55's will get you somewhere around 4000 rpm at 70.
    I don't know what size tire your Champ has, but my 69 Z/28 with 4.10 gears runs 3600 rpm at 70 with a 1:1 4th gear.
    The 200R4 .67 OD will drop you down to a more sane 2800 or so.

Have to say, my jaw dropped when I saw you wanted to convert to auto. I hate automatics. I have converted 6 BMW's from auto to sticks. But, I realize, that's just me. To each his own.

Comment

The Overdrive is a real Engine, Oil, Fuel and wear saver not to mention less noise.

But I understand your frustration with the backwards shift pattern on the New Process 5 Speed, that is what you have right?

I don't think it could be a T-85/T-89 Overdrive, because those are just smooth and easy to drive.

T-150 does not compute!
      Last edited by StudeRich; 09-03-2015, 06:16 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The Overdrive is a real Engine, Oil, Fuel and wear saver not to mention less noise.

But I understand your frustration with the backwards shift pattern on the New Process 5 Speed, that is what you have right?

I don't think it could be a T-85/T-89 Overdrive, because those are just smooth and easy to drive.

T-150 does not compute!
        Your right Rich, its a T-85.. not sure how in the hell I came up with a T-150..

Comment

well at this point is just talk.. I love my little truck. Im just looking for ways to make it easier to drive.

Comment

Working...
          X