Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I keep zinc plated fasteners looking good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I keep zinc plated fasteners looking good?

I have used a lot of new zinc plated hardware to put my Hawk back together. What is the best product to wipe the fasteners down with to keep them from oxidizing?

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Krylon has a great clear coat product, spray them....... then just wipe them off with any detail kit.
    It is an addiction!

Comment

True.
      Zink coatings are fairly soft. If you don't handle the parts, the visible coating will last a year or so, unless there's a lot of heat. Much less if you handle the parts regularly or they around a lot of heat. The zink will actually last longer than that, but your'e down to the base material, and it's not as purty as the top coat, the gold or the silver.
      Good quality clear will add to the longevity of the zink coating.

Mike

Comment

Perhaps it's a bit late, but if you are worried about long term appearance, replace all the zinc plated parts with stainless steel fasteners. The original parts weren't zinc plated, so it won't be an originality issue. The Grade 8 bolts with yellow zinc chromate hold their color longer than plain zinc, but they don't look anything like original and stainless is still better for appearance if not as strong.
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I hadn't thought of spraying them with a spray bomb clear. Maybe a nice satin clear. That way the surrounding semi-gloss chassis black won't have shiny overspray on it.

I did consider stainless before I started assembling the car. Decided against it for general assembly because I would have had to buy every piece. I already had a bunch of zinc plated stuff that I "inherited" when one of my uncles passed away. The hardware I used is mostly old zinc plated stuff. It doesn't shine like the new stuff in the store, but it is a nice flat silver / gray color. I just want to keep it from becoming a nice rust color.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

I find the satin clear gives the hardware a more natural look than full gloss clear. I use it to spray unplated bolts on my Model A. The clear isn't for long term either though, as I've seen specs of rust form under the clear in less than a year. I put grease on all hardware threads when I install them, and I wipe down unpainted parts with an oil rag every once in a while. This does a good job of keeping the rust away.

Comment

Working...
            X