Wondering about GT shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering about GT shifter

I was at the NW zone meet, great fun BTW, and saw some nice GT Hawks with the automatic floor shifts. My 61 has a B&M floor shift which I do not like, I am wondering about the availability of a complete GT floor shift unit and what I might expect to pay for one. I didn't see one at the swap meet.
    Don Watson
    61 Hawk

Actually to use a Late '63-'64 Power Shift shifter, you would need the whole Transmission to do it right.
    These are H.D. Oil Cooled units, but do still start in 2nd. gear.

It has the P R N D 2 1 more common configuration, so without a lot of tricky modification you could not use it on your PNDLR Flight-O-Matic Trans.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Actually to use a Late '63-'64 Power Shift shifter, you would need the whole Transmission to do it right.
      These are H.D. Oil Cooled units, but do still start in 2nd. gear.

It has the P R N D 2 1 more common configuration, so without a lot of tricky modification you could not use it on your PNDLR Flight-O-Matic Trans.
      I read somewhere that the Powershift shifter has two sets of detents "built in". One for the Powershift, the other for the regular FlightOMatic. It was simply a matter of flipping a part around to enable the shifter to work with the FOM.

If that's true, then it might just be a matter of making a new indicator.

Comment

Hmm, that makes me wonder how the 5 positions vs 6 could work?
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a floor shifter used in the late 80's for an Avanti with a 700r4 marked prn(od)321. Would be great for anyone contemplating a GM trans swap. $125.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I used a power shift shifter I on a regular flightomatic. All you have to do is locate a power shift shift lever and install it on the transmission. The lever points straight up and has a smaller hole drilled in it. The five positions use the whole throw of the lever. The downside is the indicator is not correct and the neutral safety switch will not work.
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              I have a floor shifter used in the late 80's for an Avanti with a 700r4 marked prn(od)321. Would be great for anyone contemplating a GM trans swap. $125.
              I am running a 700R4, so the shifter would work perfectly. I will get in touch with you on that.
              Don Watson
              61 Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Hmm, that makes me wonder how the 5 positions vs 6 could work?
                Seems this is irrelevant since the original poster said he's running a GM trans. But..

From a post by Paul McKeehan, regarding his former '53:

Originally it had a stock '64 automatic trans, not the version that was provided in the Avanti etc. It was shifted by a floor-mounted, stick mechanism, composed from an easy blend of Avanti and Power Hawk/Lark floor shift components.

The transmission those shifter parts were made for, had a different shift-detent pattern than the ordinary tranny I used. Unknown to nearly everyone, but fortunately, the really nice tranny guys in the Engineering Dept. designed the floor-mount cover, refered in the parts book as the "housing" (containing the gear selection "Dial") so it could be used on both tranny types, although in production it never was used for both. All that was necessary to make it work on the tranny I used, was to simply flip the shift handle's detent "pawl" over, so it engaged the other side's detents that were molded into the underside of the "housing". I did have to make up a new dial to match the altered pattern, of course. It worked perfectly, was all Stude, and very comfortable to use. It was not mounted directly to the floor however, as a separate floor-mounted console was made which elevated it a bit for additional comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  Seems this is irrelevant since the original poster said he's running a GM trans. But..
                  We know that now.
                  But I was answering you and your FOM question.

I did not know that, I think it is totally COOL that the Power Train Engineers were that aware of future possibilities and needs.
                  I know of no one that has run a Power Shift Shifter Assembly on a Flight-O-Matic, that would be a neat option.
                  I guess I would have to actually SEE that Detent piece to understand how you could not only rearrange the Pattern, but ALSO get an extra Gear out of one with only 5.

As Bez said in Post #5, I have seen Late Avantis with 7 Gear Dials in what LOOKS like the same Chrome Housing, so many things ARE possible.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X