Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Starlight Coupe Driver Side Window

Hi,

The drivers side door window (not the vent window) in my 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe is cracked. I would like to replace.

I know, it can probably be done locally, but is there a vendor that sells ready to install glass at a reasonable price???

Thanks in advance,

Reggie

Seems the "system" ahs come up empty.

Another thought/question:

Which 1950 models have the same drivers side glass as the Starlight Coupe?? Coupe???

Reggie

Comment

The side door glass in all 1947-52 2 door cars is the same, left and right are the same but the frame they go in is different left to right.

I got mine locally from an old time glass man that cut them using my old one as a pattern.
      These are heavy so local saves on shipping costs
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by ReggieFoote View Post
        Hi,

The drivers side door window (not the vent window) in my 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe is cracked. I would like to replace.

I know, it can probably be done locally, but is there a vendor that sells ready to install glass at a reasonable price???

Thanks in advance,

Reggie
        Contact Roy Valdez here on the forum. He specializes in 50 51 cars and parts.
        sals54

Comment

I just did this replacement last year on my 1950 Champion sedan (shorter window but it should be the same basic set-up). I removed my cracked window and vent glass and took it to a local auto glass shop, where they used it as a template to make a new one. I think that its 1/4" thick. Modern flat safety glass is just slightly thicker than the stock glass. Now that I think about it, my original glass might have been thinner because it had 60+ years to shrink. Anyway, the thicker glass hasn't interfered with the fit at all. It cost about $50 total for both pieces.
          If you must have the correct original stamped safety glass (I forget the brand, but someone on the forum knows the brand, I'm sure), I also highly recommend Roy Valdez as a source for good used stock 1947-52 parts.
          John
          1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE

Comment

Thanks to those that gave up valuable time to respond.

Seems that the best "quick" thing to do is find and visit a local auto glass company.

Thank goodness that I live in Southern Florida where my windows spend 99.99% stowed.

Reggie

Comment

I have pete Yost of Pacifica, ca.Provide me with all my glass. He has the pattern and owns a glass shop.

Comment

Thanks Roy,

I was hoping to find a good used one with the "parts" attached.

Reggie

Comment

Originally posted by royvaldez View Post
                  I have pete Yost of Pacifica, ca.Provide me with all my glass. He has the pattern and owns a glass shop.
                  Pete Yost? Sounds like someone I should meet. Did he have a father named Chuck?
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                  X