champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• champ

hi everyone. I'm new here. I have a question about my champ. I got a 6e5-112 model. This would be a 1961 with a 6 cylinder in it from what i found. There is a badge in the engine compartment that says 6E-T4. Can anyone let me know what that means? I got it as a roller. No motor or trans was in it. With the amount of body rot this has and no motor or drivetrain I will probably be doing a rat rod type project with it. The rockers,floors,bed floor, bottom of the doors, fenders all have some sort of rot to them. I know this forum is probably more directed to restoring the Studebakers and I respect that. With my budget and the amount of parts and labor I just won't be able to do that. I can however save it from complete destruction at a salvage yard and get it back on the roads with it's own unique look and style.

Jason,
    Welcome the forum! thwe badge you found is the body tag. It indicates the model (6E) and the trim level (T4). T4 was the standard level of trim andf T6 was the Deluxe, with a chrome grille, windshield surround, vent openings, and some added comfort features in the cab.
    Whether you are "restoring" or customizing, you are welcome here and will find a lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks. We're always glad to see another Stude on the road!
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

here is a picture of my champ.Click image for larger version

Name:	20150809_095641_zpspuyhaprd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1700034

Comment

The trim package was probably basic because this truck was a parts runner in South Carolina. It says Tinsley's used auto parts on the doors. I got it from around the Greenville area last month. That is all the history I know of this truck. Was this truck typically a 3 or 4 speed? How would I be able to tell that?

Comment

Your truck could have come with 3-speed, 3-speed/OD, or 4 speed. The best combination is the 3-spd/OD. The 4-spds are HD units and are not practical unless you're gonna do a lot of heavy hauling. Both 3-speeds probably came with column shift; the 4-speed would have been floor shift. A very few Champs came with the super HD New Process 5-spd/OD. They weigh almost as much as the engine.

The 6E5 came with Studebaker's 170 ci OHV 6, but both the 259 and 289 V8s were optional. Your rear axle is a Dana 44, which is pretty much bullet-proof. They were used in Jeeps for many years, so parts are readily available. Putting a Stude V8 in it would be relatively straightforward, as factory parts could be used. The most popular engine swap would a Chevy SB, though I am not aware of any kits to make the installation simple. A fair amount of fabrication would be required, but many have done it before.

The front sheet metal is basically 59-60 Lark. Fiberglass front fenders have been made and are around. The narrow box was used on all Stude pickups 56-64; the wide box was used only the 61-64 Champs, though the basic sheet metal is late 50s Dodge. A lot of sheet metal repair panels are available from Classic Enterprises. Plenty of other stuff is still available from Stude Intl and other vendors.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

If it still has the serial plate number - on the driver's side b-pillar - make sure to post information on the 6E online registry:

If you have a 1961 Champ, half or three-quarter ton (or know of one) - lets see them. Put up all the information you have and include some photos if they are available. Please leave out any personal information - someone can pm you if they want to "talk." Click on the serial number to go to that particular vehicle's

Serial plates look like this:

Good luck

Comment

Do what you will, but check what's available here for sheetmetal replacement. http://www.classicent.com/studebaker/pickups/t-cab

Pay attention to the cab mounts.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Jason. Where in the heck is Ephrata Pa? Just kidding, I am about 12 miles from you, and I own a 62 CHAMP. Great catch on getting your CHAMP. I hope you will reconsider the Rat Rod approach.
                There is an awful lot of inexpensive parts out there that you could build a pretty decent little truck (Hot Rod or Stock) on a fairly low budget.
                Here is just one example, click on pic to enlarge. You might also want to check out the Stude Truck Talk Page http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885 And the Studebaker Truck Farmers website. Jim
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Champ Truck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1700040
                I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

I agree with Jim. I don't have much time for rat rods, but your Champ could be very cool even as a beat up farm truck. Get the mechanicals right and fix what metal you can afford to. The paint doesn't have to be perfect to be a neat truck.

Comment

Jim It would be nice to meet up with you and see your truck. If your interested pm me. The truck still has the vin plate on the b pillar but i'm not sure how you go about putting it in the registry. If I would have known that when I got the truck I would have taken a picture of a second champ the guy had. The other one had a motor and trans but no wheels and was wrecked pretty bad. It did also have the licence plate bumper and the spare option on the bed. Also why do you need to pay attention to the cab mounts? I don't understand.

Comment

The cab mounts rust and collapse, causing binding of pedal, steering, and body alignment issues.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by ratchamp61 View Post
                        The truck still has the vin plate on the b pillar but i'm not sure how you go about putting it in the registry.
                        All you need to do is enter information about the truck (VIN being the most important) in a new post of that particular thread and I will add it to the top post were all the serial numbers are listed and link you VIN to your post.

Comment

Working...
                        X