Stillborn 57J ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stillborn 57J ???

I can't remember if I posted this before or not. I'll leave it to Craig to discern that.

I was just leafing thru some factory "Engineering Release" forms that I snagged on our impromptu tour of the vacant stamping facility some years ago. Curiously, one of these cards specs out 12 rivets for the "FRAME ENG. FRT. SUPT. BRKT. RIVET (FL. 5/16 x 7/8)" Part No. G104266 Dated 5-10-56 Indicates they're for a 57J "All K"

'57 Packard powered Golden Hawk???
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Maybe not the two door, but the four door hardtop. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Feb-s-already!

Craig

Comment

Yeah BUT, wouldn't they have called that a '57H-J?6 or 57H-M6? The letter "I" was never used for anything, K is taken, L is taken so maybe "M".
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Yeah BUT, wouldn't they have called that a '57H-J?6 or 57H-M6? The letter "I" was never used for anything, K is taken, L is taken so maybe "M".
        "M" was already used in 1934 on what was the 'Limousine'; essentially a regular wheelbase four door sedan with a roll-down divider glass.

You'll have to pick another letter, Rich!!

Craig

Comment

Yeah butt - this little document here - 57J with a capital K

I've got another of these cards in front of me right now. It reads: TACHOMETER DRIVE DIST. UNIT KIT - SPEC ORDERS. Part No. 536834 Models: 57B 57H All C and K

So my question is - was there a chance that the Packard-powered Golden Hawk was going to persist into '57 or not? And when was it decided that they'd go with a supercharger instead?
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post

I've got another of these cards in front of me right now. It reads: TACHOMETER DRIVE DIST. UNIT KIT - SPEC ORDERS. Part No. 536834 Models: 57B 57H All C and K

So my question is - was there a chance that the Packard-powered Golden Hawk was going to persist into '57 or not? And when was it decided that they'd go with a supercharger instead?
            Probably when they realized they weren't going to be manufacturing Packard V8 engines after mid-summer 1956, Bob. With no big Packards to put them in for 1957, they couldn't entertain keeping the entire new, Packard Utica MI V8 engine plant open to build maybe 4,000 engines for 1957 Golden Hawks.

It's so easy to forget that the main reason the 1957 Golden Hawk got the supercharged Studebaker V8 is because there weren't going to be any 1957 Packard V8 engines manufactured. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I believe all this really means is someone felt that the 1957 Golden Hawk model letter designation would again be "J", as was the case in 1956....and then someone else decided that with the change to Studebaker power, using "J" again might not be a good idea.

Fact is though, using "H" really didn't cut it either , as the supercharged '57 Golden Hawk, truly was a separate model from the President series. (IMHO)

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Probably when they realized they weren't going to be manufacturing Packard V8 engines after mid-summer 1956, Bob. With no big Packards to put them in for 1957, they couldn't entertain keeping the entire new, Packard Utica MI V8 engine plant open to build maybe 4,000 engines for 1957 Golden Hawks.

It's so easy to forget that the main reason the 1957 Golden Hawk got the supercharged Studebaker V8 is because there weren't going to be any 1957 Packard V8 engines manufactured. BP

SO, while I've probably heard it before - just when WAS it decided that the 56 Packards would be the last from Detroit?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  ...using "J" again might not be a good idea.
                  Then why was it used for '58 Starlights and '59 thru '64 Lark/Daytona hardtops if it was a bad idea?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    Then why was it used for '58 Starlights and '59 thru '64 Lark/Daytona hardtops if it was a bad idea?

Craig
                    That's obvious Craig,...The vehicles the OP is referencing here were of consecutive years...AND HAD THE SAME MODEL NAME......Understand?

Comment

Kinda funny - you guys hashing out the finer points of alphabet choices. This since Studebaker really didn't HAVE a firm grasp on the whys and wherefors of body designators. Look at the '37 and '55 models and their related tags. Then there's the really inconsistent streamers and Hamilton's do-what-you-want approach. We won't even talk about the decision after WWII to designate shift and/or station origin of a given body tub by using a punch and hammer to randomly whack a certain number of divits on the body tags.

I initiated this thread cause I wondered if maybe there was more than this here "ENGINEERING RELEASE" card that might have lent further proof that a 57J ("J" as in Packard V8-powered - not hardtop-bodied) was anticipated. In this stack of such cards, there's a number of the specific to a 57J - K. At least one of the cards has a release date of July 2nd 1956 - that's pretty close to the start of production of '57 models. In fact, I think it's safe to assume that parts would already be accumulating for the initiation of the 57 lineup.
                      Sure, it makes sense that they came to realize there'd be no more 352s to use, my point is that it looks like it was a last-minute decision (and engineering likely had to SCRAMBLE!) if it was into July before someone got a handle on things.

Comment

I initiated this thread cause I wondered if maybe there was more than this here "ENGINEERING RELEASE" card that might have lent further proof that a 57J ("J" as in Packard V8-powered - not hardtop-bodied) was anticipated. In this stack of such cards, there's a number of the specific to a 57J - K. At least one of the cards has a release date of July 2nd 1956 - that's pretty close to the start of production of '57 models. In fact, I think it's safe to assume that parts would already be accumulating for the initiation of the 57 lineup.
                        Sure, it makes sense that they came to realize there'd be no more 352s to use, my point is that it looks like it was a last-minute decision (and engineering likely had to SCRAMBLE!) if it was into July before someone got a handle on things.
                        I'll have to re-read my book on the fall of Packard to see what the exact date was when all the banks said 'absolutely NO' to James Nance for financing the 1957 line of S-P products. It seems to me it was well before July of that year when S-P determined that there was no money forthcoming from Wall Street to fulfill their wishes of Packards (and their respective engines & transmissions) being produced in Detroit.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X