Drive through judging in St Louis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive through judging in St Louis?

How did it go, from both judge and judgee perspectives?
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

I found it OK ,I'm sure there is stuff that will need to be changed or updated .
    One thing I found strange was that trunks were not judged , so basically you could have a 1 st place car with holes in the trunk (G) ...I know it was because there would be a problem of unloading a trunk and driving off and leaving valuables sitting in a parking spot. Also the usual having doors open so things like rubbers , door sills etc weren't really looked at ....but all in all it went pretty smooth for the 1st kick at the can .
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
      I found it OK ,I'm sure there is stuff that will need to be changed or updated .
      One thing I found strange was that trunks were not judged , so basically you could have a 1 st place car with holes in the trunk (G) ...I know it was because there would be a problem of unloading a trunk and driving off and leaving valuables sitting in a parking spot. Also the usual having doors open so things like rubbers , door sills etc weren't really looked at ....but all in all it went pretty smooth for the 1st kick at the can .
      Why do you refer to it as "...the 1st kick at the can"? SDC International Conventions have had drive through judging multiple times in the past (I know that St.Louis thought that they were first.) I remember drive through judging for Indianapolis and Orlando and I believe that there were others.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I thought it went VERY well, 2 lines being judged at the same time and classes were all judged by the same group of judges. 4 cars were being judged at the same time in each line at each of the two lines, much faster than stationary judging. Not judging the trunks was no big deal as all judging participants were still judged on the same items and scale. Gary is right I did the drive through Judging in Indianapolis in 1976, we just had more space for judging(Indianapolis Motor Speedway infield) so folks toured the Speedway as they were judged. I am all for this becoming the standard.
        It is an addiction!

Comment

Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post
          I thought it went VERY well, 2 lines being judged at the same time and classes were all judged by the same group of judges. 4 cars were being judged at the same time in each line at each of the two lines, much faster than stationary judging. Not judging the trunks was no big deal as all judging participants were still judged on the same items and scale. Gary is right I did the drive through Judging in Indianapolis in 1976, we just had more space for judging(Indianapolis Motor Speedway infield) so folks toured the Speedway as they were judged. I am all for this becoming the standard.
          You were the reason I went with drive through judging at the '08 GA state meet. I'm a big fan, I'm glad it worked out well in St Louis!

What was Ellenore's score?

Comment

Drive through judging was given as the prime choice for SDC International Conventions when I wrote the SDC Judging Rules and Requirements decades ago.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

For the 1984 SDC Convention in Orlando, the drive through judging was done in an air conditioned building (in one end and out the other).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                Why do you refer to it as "...the 1st kick at the can"? SDC International Conventions have had drive through judging multiple times in the past (I know that St.Louis thought that they were first.) I remember drive through judging for Indianapolis and Orlando and I believe that there were others.
                There was drive-through judging at Gettysburg. Only problem was the heat and some cars overheated. I'm all for it though.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                  There was drive-through judging at Gettysburg. Only problem was the heat and some cars overheated. I'm all for it though.

Stu Chapman
                  To prevent this issue, they had all cars park in place by class and we had members sending up several cars at once thus no long lines to sit in
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                    To prevent this issue, they had all cars park in place by class and we had members sending up several cars at once thus no long lines to sit in
                    In Orlando, the cars were called from the field by class. In Indy, we were judged as we arrived. Remember that Gettysburg was a HUGE meet (in number of Studebakers). There were major traffic jams and delays just getting to the site without any judging problems.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

They also had drive thru in Texas 75 and mechanicals in St Louis 81.

Denny L

Comment

Drive-thru judging at St Louis went pretty well, I believe. And, for the first time in history, Avanti's were judged electronically. We had a minor glitch that was QUICKLY corrected by the software developers. In a matter of a few minutes the correction was made and judging continued. Chief Judge Ed Smith made some recommendations on how he would like to see the software configured, and by the 2016 International Meet, it will be more user friendly.

studeguy54@verizon.net

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          For the 1984 SDC Convention in Orlando, the drive through judging was done in an air conditioned building (in one end and out the other).
                          That was my first International Meet. I was like a deer in the headlights the whole week. Bob Bourke was standing at the judging station and commented on how well my hand brake was adjusted when it skidded to a stop when I was asked to stop the truck with my hand brake. I suppose that first place trophy is among the highlights of my Studebaker experience.

That was a well attended meet, with some iconic vehicles seen in multiple Turning Wheels. Bourke was such a humble and unassuming guy, it took me some time to realize who I was talking to. I got to meet him once more at another International Meet in Nashville. Sadly, there are many great, wonderful, folks of those meets...no longer with us. Oh well...it's the way of life.

As far as drive through judging, Orlando is the only one I've ever participated in. I've since mellowed as I've gotten older, and the judging/trophy thing don't hold the value to me like it did when I was younger.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                            They also had drive thru in Texas 75 and mechanicals in St Louis 81.
                            I remember it in Seattle in 1982.

Craig

Comment

397 Matt dirt on a wire......lol
                              It is an addiction!

Comment

Working...
                              X