Hydrovac - Adding Neatsfoot Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Hydrovac - Adding Neatsfoot Oil

I've had my 62 GT for about 3 weeks and still waiting for my manuals. The fellow who was selling the car for the elderly owner also has a 62 GT and he told me the Hydrovac was weak and he suggested adding Neatsfoot oil to lubricate the leather inside it. Since this is the only Studebaker I have driven with Hydrovac assist I am not sure what it should feel like. It has Turner front discs and brakes very well but it does feel to me like there is little assist from the Hydrovac.

The Hydrovac was rebuilt about 10 years ago and there are no leaks or anything. Does adding Neatsfoot oil sound like a good idea? How much and where is the oil added? I see a small bolt/screw at the bottom rear of the booster in front of the battery. Is that where the oil is added? Only found one reference to this and it was suggested that about one tablespoon would suffice?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080424.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	1748409

Yes, that is where you add the oil. 1 fluid ounce every year. That is much more than a spoon full.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Check to make sure the vacuum hose from intake manifold to hydrovac isn't collapsing internally.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        Yes, that is where you add the oil. 1 fluid ounce every year. That is much more than a spoon full.
        OK thank you.. I will do it soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        Check to make sure the vacuum hose from intake manifold to hydrovac isn't collapsing internally.
        Also thank you, I will check that out.

Comment

Do keep in mind, that adding the Neatsfoot Oil will only preserve the Leather Diaphragm, it will not improve any Braking issues.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Do keep in mind, that adding the Neatsfoot Oil will only preserve the Leather Diaphragm, it will not improve any Braking issues.
            That's true, but if not corroded, it's also one of the easiest things on a Studebaker to rebuild. Providing you have the parts.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              That's true, but if not corroded, it's also one of the easiest things on a Studebaker to rebuild. Providing you have the parts.
              My problem is that I have never driven a car with Hydrovac until this one. I am not sure what it should feel like when braking if it is working properly. The car brakes very well, straight and smooth. It does not seem like there is much power assist but I am comparing that to modern cars. If the Hydrovac is working is it obvious that there is some boosting or is it more subtle? The unit was rebuilt in the not too distant past but the car has not been driven much. I will check that vacuum line as well and see if that could be the cause of some of this. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                I checked the vacuum lines and they are clear. There is an inline check valve which I assume is to stop any back pressure to the carb. Could this be causing a vacuum problem? It seems to function as it should when I checked. Also, this car has a Holley carb and after market manifold. The vacuum line runs from the back of the carb and not the manifold. Could this set up possibly be not compatible with the Hydrovac?

Comment

You state that the HydroVac was rebuilt recently. The neatsfoot oil only applies if the unit still has a leather diaphram, as original. Most rebuilders no longer use leather. Do not use neatsfoot, or any other, oil with them.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you have relined the brakes recently you are probably using modern brake shoes which are made of really hard material. I have noticed on mine that the newly relined brakes I installed last year don't react as well as the older softer material. My hydrovac works fine but is compromised by the harder brake shoes. At one time you could get softer material disc pads for non-power brakes. I don't know if this is still true but you might check your local flaps.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      You state that the HydroVac was rebuilt recently. The neatsfoot oil only applies if the unit still has a leather diaphram, as original. Most rebuilders no longer use leather. Do not use neatsfoot, or any other, oil with them.
                      I was told it was rebuilt some time in the last 10 years when the previous owner restored the car to it's current state. It does not look original but that could just a coat of paint I suppose. I will have to try and find out when and where it was rebuilt to see if it perhaps no longer has the leather diaphragm. Thanks so much for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
                        If you have relined the brakes recently you are probably using modern brake shoes which are made of really hard material. I have noticed on mine that the newly relined brakes I installed last year don't react as well as the older softer material. My hydrovac works fine but is compromised by the harder brake shoes. At one time you could get softer material disc pads for non-power brakes. I don't know if this is still true but you might check your local flaps.
                        This car has the Turner front brake conversion and yes the rear brakes have been rebuilt as well. Like I said earlier, I don't know what a normally operating Hydrovac feels like. The car brakes very well, straight and smooth but it certainly needs more effort than a modern car. I would say there is some assist there from the Hydrovac but not a lot. Perhaps that is normal?

Comment

I'd guess that your Hawk has a 'drum brake' style hydrovac unit

Studebaker found that the drum brake unit didn't have sufficient stopping power for '63 GT Hawks when the disc brake option was ordered....so the factory installed a larger hydrovac unit. (deeper drum)

Since you've mentioned your Hawk has a disc brake conversion, it may benefit from, or actually NEED, the larger Stude disc brake hydrovac.

Comment

His post said that he had Turner brakes which work fine without boost

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                              His post said that he had Turner brakes which work fine without boost
                              The way I read it he's saying this Turner disc braked '62 Hawk stops well....but he feels there is very little assist from the hydrovac unit....He feels there should be more assist.....No??

Comment

Working...
                              X