Daytona Yellow Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daytona Yellow Avanti

It seems like a millennium since I dragged the 74 home. Since then, it's received new hog troughs, some frame reconstruction, Turner brakes and a 383 SBC and T56 upgrade. The original 3:23 open rear end, I replaced with a 3:55 posi and redid the body that had major cracks, peeling paint and a bit of fiberglass lost to the OP using a DA way to aggressively.

It took about 80 hrs of scrapping to remove the old paint and close to three gallons of catalyzed primer to build and straighten the body. I don't even want to know how many hours I have in the sanding.

But that's all over and it now has a new coating of Catalyzed Acrylic Enamel in Daytona Yellow. A GM color I've always liked.

It came here looking like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0727.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1748381 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0729.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1748382

It now looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1614.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1748383 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1611.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1748384 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1616.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1748385

I haven't used a spray gun in anger in over 10 years but I'm very happy with the job so far. It does have light orange peel that needs attention but I don't see a run or thin spot. I can only find a couple of specs in the finish and one area that could be slightly better. It's not professional buy a long shot but it will show well after I'm done color sanding and buffing the finish. First fiberglass car I've done and it's pretty straight.

It will eventually aquire some black accents including the Cowl Induction hood but that has yet to be designed.

There's a long way to go but the corner has been turned.

HOT Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 08-21-2015, 05:15 PM.

Screaming yellow zonker!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Your wife is going to be mad you used her picnic table cloths to mask the car.

Looks great, keep up the good work.
      Mark L

Comment

I've been following your progress Bob, and it has really come a long way.You do beautiful work, not only on the body, but all the other aspects also. Congrats to ya! Bill

Comment

It's gonna stand out, as if an Avanti doesn't already stand out. Ought to be a fun ride.
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Colours can be really emotional. Normally, yellow is a colour that leaves me cold. Really, really cold.

That is the very shade I chose for a '78 Harley Sportster I was building many years ago. I never finished it so I don't have pics but that is the one shade of yellow I like, really like, Daytona or Chrome Yellow. In fact, that colour is what drew the fellow who bought the Sporty from me back then.

It's really coming along Bob, keep rolling on buddy.

Comment

Working...
            X