• Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Tach/Speedometer

Click image for larger version

Name:	srrg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1748375

I have the 62 Hawk on the road! I just need to position the gauges in the right place. I installed a Chevy and a GM700R4. I kept the stock rear end. (3.31:1) This is the Twin Traction.
    I have most of the bugs worked out! I am getting 20 MPG. This is normal driving no hot rodding!
    I don't think I need the lock up tourqe converter. At 75 MPH and locked up the engine is seeing 2,000 RPM. This seems a little slow for the engine. (Time will tell)

Last august I rented a Dodge truck for a quick trip to Phoenix. Coming home I noticed it was turning 2,000 RPM @ 70 mph. If your speedo is correct (which most times they are off) your just about there. I would check the accuracy of the speedo with the GPS found today on cell phones. Sounds like you have a real nice setup.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

With 205/75 tires, and the 3.31 rear end, 2000 RPM should be about 65 MPH in your car, if it had TC lockup. Since yours does not have TC lockup, figure about 62 MPH ad 2000.

Hawk speedos are often very optimistic. If your speedo is accurate, then the tac must be off. Or perhaps you have much larger tires.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I checked with a GPS. When I clock 75 MPH I actualy am doing 73 MPH. And the Tach is right. And I do have TC lockup. But the engine I feel would be happier @ a higher RPM.

The TC lock up comes in some where arount 55MPH. I have a toggle switch that I can turn it off. I have a large trasmission cooler so I don't think temp. will be a problem.

The TC lockup is done with a non adjustable switch so I don't think anything can be done.

Comment

I sounds like the only way to get a few more R's out of it, is to go to a 3.54 Axle, and I really think that should not be necessary, with that Super LOW Gear ratio Trans., it would be a real Hot Rod.
          Funny, most people complain about TOO Many RPM's with these older Cars in Today's World!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, I don't want a hot rod just a car that can be driven! And I plan on taking a lot of trips. Next month I am going to Roswel, NM. I want those aliens to see a Hawk!

Comment

A few years ago a friend took me for a ride in his new Z28 Camaro which had a manual 6 speed. It was turning 1200 rpm at 60 in 6th gear and the engine seemed happy enough. Of course that is the later style LS motor or whatever it was, but that is how they get the good fuel mileage. If I had an older style carbureted small block Ford or Chevy motor and I had my choice, I would want to be turning about 1800 at 60. If your motor is not happy cruising at 2000, you must have some sort of tuning issue. I had a Ford 302 in my 84 RX-7, and it turned about 2500 at 60 - I always felt the motor was spinning too fast for no good reason. Of course my car weighed 2500 pounds - that may make some difference.
              Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
              See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Working...
              X