I'm torn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm torn

My 50 Commander came without a drive train other than the rear end. Someone in the past cut off the battery box and something on the passenger side wheel well probably to try and fit in some other motor. I am leaning towards a SBC but the PO has an ( allegedly ) rebuilt 232 V8. I know this engine did not come in the 50 model but started in 51. From reading a bunch I have learned that the 50 car is a one off year in many ways. If installing the 232 involves lots of drama it seems I would be better off with the ubiquitous SBC. If, on the other hand,it would pretty much slide right in ( no motor mounts in the car now ) then I might change my mind. I've done a site search for SBC and found a number of hits but all seem to pertain to later Hawks and Larks. Setting aside everyone's emotional attachment to the Studes and giving an objective opinion what would the group think?
    I think PO also has a Stude trans of some sort.
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    George

It will take just as much work/money/fabrication to put a 232 Stude into your car as it will an SBC. Neither is "correct", and in this case I'd go for more power.

232's aren't big performers.. 120 HP in stock form, and those that have one lying around typically can't give it away for free. Between the two choices, I'd go with the Chevy hands down, and I love the Stude engine.

Comment

All I can say is that a '50 Commander is a WAY better choice for either the SBC or a Stude. V8, than the poorly designed suspension and steering of the '50 Champion.

I would be looking for a Stude. 259 or 289 V8 to transplant.

Is it a Starlight Coupe?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have been told by folks who know, the biggest problem with putting a different engine in a 50 is oil pan/steering clearance. I understand part of the steering linkage passes between the oil pan and bellhousing. Studebaker made a special oil pan for 1950.
        Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
          I have been told by folks who know, the biggest problem with putting a different engine in a 50 is oil pan/steering clearance. I understand part of the steering linkage passes between the oil pan and bellhousing. Studebaker made a special oil pan for 1950.
          That's the case for the 50 Champion. The 50 Commander front suspension and steering is similar to the 51 and newer setup.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            That's the case for the 50 Champion. The 50 Commander front suspension and steering is similar to the 51 and newer setup.
            OK, I guess I'v never paid any attention to a 50 Commander. I thought they were the same as the Champion. I stand corrected.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Studerich
              Yes it's a Starlite. I posted some pics a week or so ago.

As far as pan clearance there is a strange steering setup on it with the box right up by the firewall and a link in the center of the cross member connecting to the steeering links. I can't find my picture of it right now.

Found it. You can just see the steering gear at bottom of the pic.
              Last edited by georgeE; 08-18-2015, 04:05 PM. Reason: Add picture

Comment

George, I would like to see those pics. of the linkage. Also the butchery of the engine compartment, to see what would work best. All of the engine swaps I have done have been on 53 up Studes and were done because I had an engine laying around and wanted to make templates for my flame cutter.

Comment

I agree with Rich.........keep your Studebaker ALL Studebaker.

Comment

That last Pic shows Steering VERY common to all Studebakers, not unusual at all as Studes. go.
                    The other makes of Newer Cars, mounted the Steering Gear out behind the Bumper to act as a Spear through your Chest.

It was such a problem, that they HAD to come up with a collapsible Column!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So there is an ad on a reasonably local Craigslist offering a V8 motor, tranny and rear from a 62 63 Hawk.Would this be a 289? Is this something that would work in the 50 and, if so, what kind of price would be reasonable if it were in OK condition.? Ad doesn't specify standard or auto trans.

Comment

Working...
                      X