Studejeep ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studejeep ?

... crossing my fingers that was`nt posted before ...

I think a Champion engine swap into a Jeep was a relatively common practice in the 1950s and '60s when old Jeeps and Champion engines were both cheap and plentiful.
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Comment

That is very true, but all I have ever seen or heard of had Flatheads. This Overhead 112 H.P. Six should make that little thing do wheelies!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had a conversion plate that came with a Flathead that was in a Jeep. Fairly straight forward. It has the same bolt pattern from bellhousing to transmission but spaced them further away from each other.

Len

Comment

The only conversions to Jeeps that I remember from the 1950s-1960s, including locally, used Studebaker V8s.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There was an old Overland around here for awhile that had a Studebaker OHV 6 in it. The owner came to me for parts a time or two. I asked him to let me know if he decided to sell, but it's gone, and he didn't.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Think of what they would be like with a 4.3 v6 or a LT chev.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                The only conversions to Jeeps that I remember from the 1950s-1960s, including locally, used Studebaker V8s.
                I remember seeing somewhere a copy of a J.C. Whitney catalog that had a kit to put a Studebaker V8 in a Jeep. I remember seeing couple of Jeeps with Studebaker V8's on EBAY a few years ago. I always thought a 259 in a Willys Overland would be cool.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Dave Thibeault had/or still has a Jeep with a Studebaker 289 - I'm quite sure He did the conversion,and I'll tell ya what a stout little unit.
                  Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Matthew's other grandfather had a Willys Jeep with a Buick V6. I don't know whatever happened to it. My son had a Jeep with a Ford 351 V8 automatic in it. He didn't care for it so he traded it for a Harley.
                    Last edited by rockinhawk; 08-19-2015, 02:14 AM.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

rockinhawk a buick v6 was a factory set up. They had a Buick odd fire v6 as a option on all jeeps.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                        rockinhawk a buick v6 was a factory set up. They had a Buick odd fire v6 as a option on all jeeps.
                        The Jeep I refered to was WWII era. The Buick V6 was developed...Early 60s? I recall it had homemade exhaust manifolds. Made from square tubing.
                        Neil Thornton

Comment

My dad swapped in a flathead six when the old 4 banger gave it up in his 48 Willys station wagon. When the six got tired he swapped in a 232 V8. I inherited it when I was in high school and put in a 259 4 barrel. That jeep sure was a lot of fun.

Comment

I ended up buying this Jeep and was surprised to find this forum post. Does anybody on this site know where I can get parts for this OHV engine? Perhaps even a complete running OHV setup? Not having any luck online or locally. The Jeep didn't have an intake or exhaust setup, currently not even sure if it will turn over. I would like to keep the period conversion as it is somewhat unique and should be adequate power for a Jeep of that size. It has a t-90 transmission and twin stick t-case running stock axles.

Comment

That shouldn't be hard to find-- I've got a couple of 'em, but I'm clear out near Seattle...
                              1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                              1951 Champion Business Coupe
                              1951 Commander Starlight
                              1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                              1953 Champion Starlight
                              1953 Commander Starliner
                              1953 2R5
                              1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                              1957 Silver Hawk
                              1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                              1959 Silver Hawk
                              1961 Hawk