New 53 Commander added to my fold, Need help with Engine ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 53 Commander added to my fold, Need help with Engine ID

First off I know it has a 54 grill That is why I am looking for anyone's help in locating 53 grill strips. This is my first experience with Studebakers but not classic cars. The serial #8336948 checks out as a 53 but can anyone tell me more information. Also I know the engine is not correct year. Looks like a 63-64 engine. There is not a number on the drivers side. The only number is the cast at 1554641. Can somebody identify this engine from that number? I want to purchase the correct manual. I am also looking for the front turn signal lenses, horn button and rear bumperette that goes around the license plate.
    Thanks Jim
    61 Nash Metropolitan Convertible
    62 Chevy Monza Corvair
    62 Volvo PV544
    53 Studebaker Commander
    Click image for larger version

Name:	00m0m_6aThgNAfPKT_600x450.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1748344Click image for larger version

Name:	00p0p_32zKw0BQEhm_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1748345Click image for larger version

Name:	00000_eiLLCJ7BD2Y_600x450.jpg
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1748346Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-05_10-28-50_632.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1748347
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Congratulations, You have a nice one. Looks like power steering? Is it connected? I don't see a pump? Check your grill shells to see if they are 54 as well as the bars? Look right down in front(drivers side), right in front of the valley pan for a stamped engine number. Check the reason for the 2X4, is it bad mounts? If you are looking for driver quality parts I may be able to help, PM if you want. Welcome to the forum. I love your car.
    Last edited by Flashback; 08-14-2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

The guy that should have most of those parts is right there in Phoenix, Chuck Collins. Most of the grill bars that you find today will be the same as your 54, with the holes for the teeth. If you find a set of 53 with no holes, expect to pay close to $1,000 a pair, if in good shape and not needing chrome. There should be a pad in the front, just off center to the left with the numbers, although some with no numbers will have at least a keystone or some other single mark ID.

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum!

I owned 1953 Commander Starliner with S/N 8335335. Your car is close cousin to that one and a South Bend build.

At least you have the proper 1953 C/K bumperettes in the front and the correct 1953 Commander hood trim.
        You could just remove the vertical bars from the parking light assemblies (grille bars) and it would appear more like the 1953 that it is.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes the 1554641 casting Block is a Full Flow Oil Filter, 259 or 289 Late 1962 to 1964 Engine. You should see an Oil Filter on the Right Rear lower corner of the Engine.

Pull a spark plug, shine a small LED Light in the Hole and look for a Dished Piston as a 289 or a Flat Top as in a 259.

Are you SURE that flat machined Pad on the front, Top Left side of Car is totally Blank?
          If so, it is a factory replacement Engine, usually a Block and Pistons, but rarely a Complete Short Block.

The Chassis Parts and the Body Parts Catalogs are much needed and very good reference material for the fit sequence of Parts, design shape, needed part Numbers for Ordering. The Shop Manuals are fairly good but not as detailed.

These all have Year Ranges, but not as big a spread as '53 to '63, so you may want to compromise and go with '53-'54.

You can get ALL THREE on CD ROM Disc. for your Computer for way less $.

Found here: http://studebakervendors.com
          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-14-2015, 12:08 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The previous owner put the 54 grill bars in because he liked the look better. The surrounds are 53 and he shortened the 54 bars to fit. Supposedly the car was used to tour and race in its day. Does anyone have information on that? The car was sold from the Snider Dealership in Indianapolis.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	00i0i_lfpWcxWzUsa_600x450.jpg
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1699838Click image for larger version

Name:	00S0S_axctzZtZd6q_600x450.jpg
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1699839Click image for larger version

Name:	00404_1Da8L6nvgNG_600x450.jpg
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1699840Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-05_10-24-55_476.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1699841Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-05_10-29-24_559.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1699842Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-05_10-30-34_704.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1699843
            Attached Files
            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Thanks for wearing pants when taking the pic of the Snider badge!
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

That was not me taking the pic. It was the guy who sold it to me
                62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

The '53 bars are not too hard to find. Same used on both coupes and sedans unlike the '54 bars that are different for coupes vs sedans. You will need the hanger brackets that go behind them though. I sold 2 extra sets of '53 bars last year (needed work). I don't know why the '54 bars would have needed to be cut. The only difference between '53 and '54 surrounds is 3 holes in the rear bottom for the '54 bars to bolt to. You could turn '53 surrounds into '54 by drilling those holes.

That appears to be the saginaw PS gear. You are missing the pump. Those gears are pretty hard to find with all the steering column parts as many are unique to the coupes and sedan parts do not fit. If you want to get it working, you will need the pump and brackets and pulley's etc. Those should be findable.

Chuck Collins in AZ has excellent reproductions of the turn lens for the grill. The rear guards used to be available NOS but if not are the same part for '53 and '54 and also used on sedans. Used ones needing plating should be easy to find.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Anyone have pics of the correct grill bars? I am curious.

Comment

If the bars were cut to fit they were probably sedan bars. They are taller and don't slant back as much as C/K bars. The bars are cast one piece with the teeth. For now you could cut the teeth off, leaving just the three lower ones that are used for mounting. Those three could be cut back and painted flat black so they wouldn't be obvious. If the bars have been cut already you won't be ruining a good original part. Only the front edge is chrome, they are painted silver on top so the marks where they were cut off would be covered.
                      Just a thought on a caso fix.
                      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Looks like it also has a later transmission, based on seeing the dipstick tube.
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by AKAchamptrucking View Post
                          Anyone have pics of the correct grill bars? I am curious.
                          Are you talking about 54 or 53 grill bars? I have 53 grill bars I could take pictures.

lelshaddai, I PM'd you. I have the grill bars and other parts you need.

Comment

There are no numbers on the top of this engine. I will send a picture of that later.
                            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
                              There are no numbers on the top of this engine. I will send a picture of that later.
                              See Post #5, it's a Factory Replacement Block, and you need to know the Pistons and Crank it has inside, to know the C.I.D.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X