X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield

Hi all,
    Newbie here again with a question.probably a dumb one too
    I have a 50 champion starlight with a broken one piece windshield.
    As I need to replace it would the two piece one fit instead ?
    As I quite like the look of the two piece, obviously I`ll need the center division pieces as well but is the two piece just flat glass?
    Just wondering if the two piece has a slight curve near the center ?
    Geoff
    Last edited by fiveftsix; 08-11-2015, 02:34 PM.

Nope! The two-piece windshield is two pieces of flat glass; cheaper to produce but more expensive to install. Replacing what was called the "bent" windshield with the two-piece flat version would require an inordinate amount of cowl and roof reconfiguration. Take the shortcut; buy a new one-piece windshield and gasket to match.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I don't know about the cars, but I had a friend who put a two piece In place of the bent glass in a truck with no problem. Just needed the division bar.
      Neil Thornton

Comment

I just can't imagine why anyone would want to replace a one piece windshield with a 2 piece. The one piece windshields are available and one would keep your Studebaker looking as is should.
        Just my 2 cents worth.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Thanks for all your replies guys.
          First off a new one piece would set me back somewhere around the $350 mark.
          Secondly I like the idea of the two piece, reason being it looks more like a plane cockpit windshield.
          And lastly if it gets broken in the future it would only be one side that won`t cost an arm or a leg to replace if it is just flat glass.
          Rockne
          Are you saying that the body shells are different between a two piece windshield and a one piece ???
          Was there a two piece 50/51 starlight ever made ?
          I know the windshield rubber is the same but the outer stainless trim is a two piece affair from the parts book and of course I`ll have to source those center bars and "T" pieces. Anyone?

Rog
          As much as I`d like to keep it looking original, that isn`t going to happen.
          I will be sitting the 50 starlight body on a 51 4 door chassis
          I know the 51 inner fenders are different to the 50 so will be using the 51 fenders
          I just hope the 50 front panel will fit between those 51 fenders.
          I shall also be cutting out the 51 floor pan to rework it into the starlight.
          Yes it`s a shame as the 51 4 door has a rust free floor.
          So I will have lots of 4 door 51 parts to offer on here soon
          Regards Geoff
          Last edited by fiveftsix; 08-11-2015, 05:58 PM.

Comment

'50 Champions had the two piece windshields, unless they were Starlight Coupes or Convertibles. No '51 models had a two piece windshield. That's to say, you can make it happen if you want the trouble and expense.
            Last edited by rockne10; 08-11-2015, 07:50 PM.
            Brad Johnson,
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

"Secondly I like the idea of the two piece, reason being it looks more like a plane cockpit windshield."

I also like the two piece windshield for that reason, but also like the one piece and would never attempt to change from one style to the other. If I remember correctly the steel is stamped differently at the center of the windshield with a sharper peak on the two piece.

Rather than cut up a good body, aren't new floor pans available for the Studes?

Comment

Thanks guys for all your comments and replies,
                And a special thanks to Rockne for his input not only on this thread but another also mentioning that 50 fenders will not work on a 51 without changing the inner part of the fender.
                TWChamp,
                The mission I have taken on is that the 50 starlight was really nothing more than a parts car when I got it,maybe a better description would be a junker.
                The motor had been basically stripped,locked up too.
                All the climatizer parts missing both outer and inner,dash radio grill missing,rear lights plus both floors rotted out,even the bat wing cross member,windshield shot plus fender vent surrounds rotted as well as the extreme lower cowl "A" posts.
                Having said all that it was cheap, the body is straight and all the rear glass is good and most of the chrome is in good condition.
                After looking at parts costs it was obvious that another parts car would be more economic.
                But being a newbie to Studebakers did not realize at the time a 51 4 door would be so different.
                Anyway I found a complete 51 4 door for $800, excellent chrome on both front/rear bumpers,dash like new complete with it`s original radio,good floors even the seats looked good having been recovered not that long ago.
                The car looked to have been restored a few years ago with new seals all round,carpets etc then left and neglected.
                I knew that items like doors/seats etc would be no good from the start to me but there were many things I could use like the motor/Chrome/lights/heater/radio/vent window glass, it even has a brand new tire on the spare.
                I thought about restoring it but at the end of the day what would a 51 4 door sell for ?
                Would it provide enough finance for me to acquire all the missing parts I`d need for the starlight plus all the floor pans ?
                I very much doubt it.
                Cost of both floors/rockers/front mounts/complete engine plus all the other items on my list ?
                Would someone be interested in a complete good 4 door body shell including doors and trunk lid etc and willing to pay me the cost of all the floor pans/rockers and front mounts etc I`d need to buy for the starlight ?
                Those alone will equate to almost $800 ?
                No I don`t wish to see another Studebaker lost but at the same time I will be bringing life back to one that had already been left to that same fate.
                It won`t be anything like an original but at least it will somewhat resemble a Studebaker bullet nose.
                At least it won`t have a SBC or a TH400 between it`s loins !!!!!
                And sitting on the 51 chassis will be practical when it comes to parts.
                I realize the purists here will frown but what is left out in someones back yard isn`t the same as it once was anymore, 50 starlights are getting harder and harder to find.
                Geoff
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1149.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1699791Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1151.JPG
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1699792Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1154.JPG
ID:	1699793Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1156.JPG
ID:	1699794Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1159.JPG
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1699795Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1161.JPG
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1699796
                Last edited by fiveftsix; 08-12-2015, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Without mentioning names, I know someone who put more than 20K in to a '52 Champion two door sedan. He's happy and he loves it; and those who see it cruising also love it. Evaluate or enjoy; or, evaluate AND enjoy.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There's a '50 Champion 4 door in a local shop.. The car has undergone a total rebuild/restoration at the cost of over $100K, and it isn't finished yet. Has a hopped up 185 flathead, an interior to match the owner's Leer jet, etc.. And as nice as it is, it'll never be as cool as a Starlight Coupe with the 4 piece rear window.

Looks like your 4 door was already put out to pasture, so using it for parts to save a more desirable coupe is way better than it rotting away.

Go for it..!

Oh, and there's the upcoming Florida State Meet that you won't want to miss. www.bulletnose.org
                    Last edited by mbstude; 08-12-2015, 08:34 AM.

Comment

That`s exactly what I am trying to avoid although if your happy with what it has cost you then it doesn`t matter.
                      I know very well how easy it is to get carried away whilst restoring something.
                      But with what I do have hopefully,I will not get anywhere close to that kind of figure.
                      Plus I will be using solely Studebaker parts in the process.
                      I`m not new to ground up type restorations having totally restored several wartime jeeps recently
                      It`s just that I wanted a change between doing them and as I`ve always had a soft spot for the 50 starlights
                      Decided to do one for myself to keep even if it wasn`t totally to specs.
                      Like the guy that spent 20 k I will enjoy it once done and in the meantime enjoy doing it.
                      It will be a challenge of a different kind to the jeeps I have done.

Regards GeoffClick image for larger version

Name:	_SCN0526.jpg
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1699798Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1028.jpg
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	1699799Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1089.jpg
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1699800

Comment

Ha !!!!!!
                        Looks like I`ll be in my element at the Florida up an coming meet !!!!!
                        In more ways than one.....
                        Thanks for the link mbstude
                        I`ll be there !!!!
                        Regards Geoff

Comment

Working...
                        X