Painting My Starters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting My Starters

I'm rebuilding my Prestolite starters for the Daytona. I'll post something in tech later. My question is in the paint work. It looks to me like the drive housing was painted black along with the rest of the starter. True? Or was it left it's natural cast color (gray?)? I have the nuts and screws soaking in rust penetrant.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

I believe they were Cast Iron Gray (bare), I am sure no one will ever know what color the "nose" is except you though.

Nowadays, you seldom ever find one that has not been to a Rebuilder and become all Black.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Any place I can get replacement Prestolite tags?
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
        Any place I can get replacement Prestolite tags?
        Studebaker International has them listed in their catalog. 800206, $12.00 each.

Comment

It is always nice to have the contrast of color and cast. Suggest to use a cast looking paint to keep it looking nice as bare cast will eventually rust. Powder coating places have a great "Cast" looking coating.

Comment

Sebastian, that's probably what's going to happen. I agree with the powder coat.
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

If you can find a handy source, I highly recommend the Seymour MRO stainless steel paint. The pigment is pure powdered stainless steel, and it is excellent corrosion protection, no gloss, silver with somewhat grey color. I have used it for years on brake calipers, suspension parts, intake manifolds, transmissions, drive shafts, axles, intercooler plumbing, anything that has hard use. The part number is 620-1460. Doesn't quite look like cast iron, but is a very good color match for sand cast aluminum.
              Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
              See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Working...
              X