Bullet Nose Sheet Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet Nose Sheet Metal

Looking at several parts cars trying to see if I can make one whole car. Can some one tell me if the fenders, hood and grill sheet metal on a 50 and 51 will will fit on any two door model or is the sedan different than the starlight coupe? Can the 50 or 51 nose be used on any later model two door Stude? Thanks for the feed back

From the cowl forward, 1950 Commander or Land Cruiser parts will fit every body style 1950 Commander, but NO 1950 Champion of any style or later year. Likewise, NO '50 Champion parts can be used in a '50 Commander or Land Cruiser. All front parts from 1951 Commander, Land Cruiser or Champion will interchange in any body style or model of 1951. The outer front fenders of the '50 Champion can fit the '51 models but require either the '51 inner fenders, or a great deal of alteration.

Which parts car are you looking at that is the most complete, unmolested primary structure?
    Last edited by rockne10; 08-10-2015, 05:41 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Can the 50 or 51 nose be used on any later model two door Stude?

Yes, they do match up at the cowl and A-pillar from 1947-52, but they will not be a bolt-on job. It's been done many times, but fabrication is involved.
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

This is mine and it all bolts on. 52 hard top, 51 champion front fenders, 50 hood and center grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141116_134949422.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1699788

Can't comment on other options.

Dean.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I found a 51 starlight coupe, but it is missing the sheet metal from the cowl forward. Same guy has a 50 2 door sedan with a good nose and I wanted to be sure I could do the swap before I bought them. I know M series trucks inside out, but this will be my first venture into a bullet nose. I did find out the front suspension on the 50 is unique for that year. Again, thank for the replies

Comment

Starting with a '51 is your best bet for extremely available chassis parts, as the '50, either Commander or Champion, is a one year suspension design. If the '50 sedan is not a Champion, it will do you little good, though there are folks who covet parts for their '50 Commanders.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

GTHEM162, 1950 fenders will not fit on a 51 without modifications do to the different wheel base. I did it on my 51 by altering the wheel openings for tire clearance and the inner fender panels to clear my GM engine. So it is doable with a little work and the 50 front center panel can also be used. The 51 is a much better car to start with as it has the later suspension. JMO

Comment

Is the 1950 & 1951 bullet nose Champions & Commanders front sheet metal the same size? Does anyone make a fiberglass Bullet Nose front end ?

Comment

Sheet metal problem solved. I slid a Mustang II front clip onto original frame rails and will now be able to use stock 50 sheet metal without modification. Mounted the front clip at original 118" wheel base, so everything fits. Am using a V-8 DeSoto Hemi engine which will require some minor modification to the inner fenders to clear exhaust manifolds.Am not aware of anyone reproducing a 50 or 51 nose in fiberglass.There was an outfit several years ago that had a bullet nose "el camino" style fiberglass body, but think they went out of business.
                  The nose bullet on mine has a small dent in it so if anyone has a good one I'd be interested.

Comment

Working...
                  X