1956 Flight Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Flight Hawk

I am close to purchasing a 56 FlightHawk. Rather plain jane but has automatic transmission. Sitting for 15years. What should I be concerned about. What about maintaining it's originality as opposed to restomod? It worth since it's the lowest of the Hawk lineup? It is a 2 door post. I know little about this one time model.
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

I do not think it is desirable or valuable enough to be worried about devaluing it with Mods, IMHO of course.

Especially since it has the Automatic Trans.

Sure it could be freshened up and made into a nice (slow) driver, but if you are after a little more FUN, a V8 (Stude. of course) is THE way to go, especially for a Sporty, Sports Type of family Sports Car Coupe.

These Hawks are bodily, exactly the SAME as their Power Hawk sisters except the Power Trains.
    It is very similar to the more popular and higher selling '57-'58 Silver Hawk 6 but without the Fins.

Maybe THIS one, or one like it?

UPDATE: OPPS, maybe NOT, this one has Overdrive and most of us here do not overspend like that either!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-07-2015, 03:07 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Condition is everything. Post some pictures,,-- PLEASE

Comment

OK it's not that one in Minnie. This is a original that was parked in 2001. Uncovered in west Tex. Not much rust, behind the outside air vent in the fender. It's $1500.00 Original title.
        1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

It's just complete and very original and all wore out, body OK

Comment

Sounds like a very GOOD Deal.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree that it sounds like a very good deal. And I know what you mean about not much rust because in the late 60's my first 3 Studes all came from Texas. I would keep it original to help preserve the great Studebaker history. With all the mods I keep hearing about, no one will know what a REAL Studebaker was. Nothing wrong with a 6. In fact all my Studes are 6's except my 52 Land Cruiser.

Comment

while i understand trying to keep her original, it would depend on what you want to do with her. a show car, a daily (or semi) daily driver, a survivor, etc.?

would the automatic trans/rear end handle a Studebaker V-8? i have no clue what auto trans the Flight Hawk has/had. others will and can guide you if you want to go with a V-8.

my '51 has a DG-150 auto trans and doubt it would handle a larger engine. i do know the '56 doesn't or shouldn't have the 150. but once you know what trans is actually in her will give the "experts" the knowledge for a engine replacement and if a new drivetrain is needed...

i hope this makes sense.
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Well some in my family think I'm nuts. It does look like hell from being baked in the sun since 2001. I think the auto trans is borg warner and probably a very good tranny refurbed. I don't want them show because we drive all of our old cars daily in a rural setting but I do want to maintain 70mph on the highway. I thought of a larger engine however because it sure would be nice to add a/c. This 56 is still 6 volt probably right?

Comment

semi daily

Comment

The '56 is a New improved Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic with a Low Gear Start, and NO it is not a 6 Volt.

You COULD do a whole LOT worse than a buying '56!
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

56 was the first year for 12V Studes.

If you want to drive the car with the A/C on while keeping up with modern traffic... Look at an engine swap. The little Champion 6 just can't do that. (I think it was a fantastic engine for a car in '39. But a decade and a half later, it wasn't really suitable for cars weighing a lot more).

Luckily enough, any 56-64 Hawk V8 parts car would yield everything you need to do a bolt in Stude V8 conversion, if you want to stick with Stude power.

Btw, I don't think any Stude car transmissions will interchange between 6 and 8's.

Alternatively... If you want a V8 Hawk, you can probably find a pretty decent one for less than it'd take to get that one on the road. The 59-60 models are a bargain.
                        Last edited by mbstude; 08-07-2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

56 would be a 12 volt there many vendors for parts. Have fun with it.

Comment

I look for hawks or the Lowery coupes and they are out of sight for my wallet. I thought this one gets me in the door and I can bring it back to life at my own pace. Looks like I'd have to spend near $15-20K to get a slick Flight Hawk.

Comment

Originally posted by poweroptions View Post
                              I look for hawks or the Lowery coupes and they are out of sight for my wallet. I thought this one gets me in the door and I can bring it back to life at my own pace.
                              Nothing wrong with that either.

Post some pictures of the car you've found if you can. I love the '56's.

If you do decide to tackle the project and want to go to Stude V8 power, let me know. I have a local friend with several junkyard Studes and he could probably help with some V8 conversion parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X