Mechanic needed at Warwick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanic needed at Warwick

I have two small jobs which need to be done on my Sky Hawk. The hand brake control needs to be reassembled and I want to put a valve in the heater hose line as the switch is kaput and evidently costly to repair. I will pay for this service. My local shop here in the Hamptons will charge me up the ying and down the yang, and I'd much rather give the money to a fellow forum member who knows what he's doing. Parts can be obtained if necessary.
    peter lee

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
    I have two small jobs which need to be done on my Sky Hawk. The hand brake control needs to be reassembled and I want to put a valve in the heater hose line as the switch is kaput and evidently costly to repair. I will pay for this service. My local shop here in the Hamptons will charge me up the ying and down the yang, and I'd much rather give the money to a fellow forum member who knows what he's doing. Parts can be obtained if necessary.
    As of today, August 10, I have received exactly zero interest in my quest. I guess I'll just have my regular mechanic do the work.
    peter lee

Comment

Peter, the Warwick meet is not until June, 2016 - next year. There won't be anyone going to Warwick, RI until then.

Good luck with your ying and your yang!
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Most SDC people are busy from morning to night on Convention week. I am always willing to help someone with an unexpected breakdown and probably many others are also. I certainly would not do any repairs that should have been done before the person left for the Convention. In Gettysburg, there was a staffed and equipped building set up for emergency repairs. Some people tried to get routine work done. I believe that they were turned away as that was not the intent of the service.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Be sure you get the PROPER Parts at a Studebaker Vendor at: http://studebakervendors.com to give to the Mechanic, to save you a lot of time, trouble and Money! The standard Shop procedure is to DOUBLE any Parts Prices for parts they purchase.

The proper replacement WATER Valve (if that is what you mean by kaput switch) is available as 800783, the Heat Control Lever will work backwards but the Ball Valve is a very long lasting high quality unit.

There is a special Spring and Cog in most Hand Brake assemblies that centers and prevents unneeded turning of the handle SHAFT, another Studebaker Dealer only Part.

Why not search out a Classic Car Shop Out of "the Hamptons"?
          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-11-2015, 12:21 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the info. This being the Hamptons, my local shop charges Hamptons prices. I guess I'll just have to pay it as I can't let any old fool mess with it.
            peter lee

Comment

I realize that. I'll probably wait until I get there and see if someone's feeling generous.
              peter lee

Comment

I'll have to get the parts myself anyway. I'll probably have the work done in the spring before the show. Thanks for the info.
                peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                  This being the Hamptons, my local shop charges Hamptons prices.
                  You live in "The Hamptons" ($$$) but want someone that's on vacation to fix your car in a parking lot so you can save a few bucks..

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this.

Comment

Mathew you need a more flexable head.

Dean.

Comment

I drove the Island for years and seen plenty of stude's out there. There are a lot of sdc members out in long island why not just contact one of them and see if they can give you a hand?

Comment

Originally posted by jbjr View Post
                        I drove the Island for years and seen plenty of stude's out there. There are a lot of sdc members out in long island why not just contact one of them and see if they can give you a hand?
                        This is a good point. I assume that you belong to SDC and the Long Island Chapter. If not, you are missing a lot of referrals and contacts. The LI Chapter has been active for decades. Their monthly meetings are not far from you.

You keep talking about "...here in the Hamptons..." Your address shows up as East Northport. Which is it? East Northport is only about half way from NYC to the Hamptons.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Matt, you wouldn't believe some of the requests I get from people in the hopes of saving a little money. It is usually something I can do in a minute and don't charge for, but by the time I explain that and educate them why they should just do it right, I have to start charging them and my litigation rate is $400 an hour. "Now you're going on the clock!"
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                          X