63 avanti headlight switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 avanti headlight switch

i know this is a general question, but here goes. my switch according to the schematic is wired right, but when i turn it on one head light and a parking light may come on. the next time the park light will come on and stay on when i turn it off. does this sound like a grounding problem. my first fiberglass car. any tips or info will be greatly appreciated. tks chas.

I just have to think that the wires on BOTH the ON/OFF Switch and the Head or Parking Lt. Selector Switch could not both be correctly wired to each other.

You should NEVER get BOTH Head AND Parking Lts. to light!

And yes ANY electrical issues on a Fiberglass Car can be caused by poor or non-existent Ground wires to each unit.
    The Parking Light Bulb Sockets and Headlight grounds do need to be tested for continuity.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-04-2015, 05:11 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

it's been close to 6 years but if i recall correctly, the (at least the front) parking lights came on when the headlight switch was activated. the pkg light switch to the headlight switch had a wire running between them.

i could be wrong. the best thing to do is purchase the Avanti Service Manual, if you don't have one.

and i agree with Rich - it may be a ground problem - after dealing with the Avanti and a couple of Corvettes. also possible the wiring that runs down the inside of the driver's side windshield "bracket" could have a semi-working short. that area was known to have rust issues in wiring due to moisture.

others here on the Forum have much more knowledge (and a better memory) than i have.
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
        it's been close to 6 years but if i recall correctly, the (at least the front) parking lights came on when the headlight switch was activated. the pkg light switch to the headlight switch had a wire running between them.

i could be wrong. the best thing to do is purchase the Avanti Service Manual, if you don't have one./Cut/
        There is not a separate Parking light Switch and Head Light Switch on an Avanti, it is Odd. There is a Lighting ON/OFF Switch and a Parking OR Head Light Selector Switch that can stay "ON" since it does not function without the ON/Off switch being "ON".

Of course on ANY U.S. Car the Tail Lights and normally the Instrument Lts. will always be ON whenever EITHER Head or Park lights are selected.

People have been able to wire the Parking lights on any Studebaker to a extra Instrument Light Terminal on the Headlight Switch to make it "Look" like a newer Car with Both on in Headlight position.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You need to verify the connections in the overhead switch panel as pointed out by previous posts. Trace the wires by the wiring diagram and ensure that there is no contact of bare wire or terminal with the window frame or switch cover. I discovered a similar problem some years ago, as a result of having 2 black wires reversed on their respective terminals. That resulted in no dimming of the instrument lights and dim left brake and parking lights (as best I can decipher my notes). In that case headlights weren't involved, but the source of your problem is probably up there in the overhead panel.

Comment

thanks everyone for ur help. it means alot. when and if i find my problem, i will post. tks chas.

Comment

Working...
            X