50 Commander update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Commander update

Got a chance to do a little work on the car today. Pulled off the right rear gravel guard expecting beaucoup of rust but instead found little. An hour and a half of sanding and I got this:

There was one peeling layer of black and what looks like an original blue underneath. Strangely the blue doesn't seem to have primer under it . Or maybe it's just really thin and has melted into the blue over the years, Smelled kinda like Dulux when I sanded it. Spray bombed some anti rust primer for now. A couple little dings and the hole you can see and that's it.

On another note I found some newspapers from Macon in the trunk stuck to some nasty old cardboard. They were on the burn pile before I had the sense to check the date. A southern life could explain the lack of rust.
    The car is number 4423469 and the underhood tag says 17a 05 2778 if anyone keeps track of such things.
    George

17A-C5 is a 1950 regal Commander starlight coupe - the top level of trim available. 2778 is the 2778th starlight coupe body welded up in the 1950 model year. relatively early.

At one time, I wanted one of every model of 50 commander and actually had a starlight coupe and a convertible. Still have the convertible, but the coupe is long gone.

These are great cars and have plenty of torque to climb any mountain road and with an overdrive have plenty of power for the highway. Hope you have fun with yours.

The right rear wheel in your pictures is the oddball wheel you were talking about in another post. The others are probably correct. I bought a set from French lake Auto parts in Annandale, Minnesota. They probably still have some. They are peculiar to 47-50 Commander/Land Cruiser and the same year Studebaker trucks. The wheels are 15 X 7, which is pretty wide compared to later models.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-04-2015, 04:10 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

George,
      So many would give their eye teeth to have rear fenders requiring such minimal patching!
      Looking forward to progress reports!
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
      X