New to the Forum A couple of questions regarding a salvage yard find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Forum A couple of questions regarding a salvage yard find

I am new to the Forum. I come across Studebaker's and I am always looking to learn.

I would like information on the year and model of the car. The car was equipped with the oil bath air cleaner (thought it was one of the coolest things I have seen in awhile). The steering wheel was in the car as well. Is the steering wheel original to the car? Are there any other parts that may be worthwhile to pick from the car? I thought the valve covers were pretty nice as well. Thanks for your help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1748263Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1748264Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1748261Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1748262
    Attached Files

1955 Commander. Oil bath pretty common depending on where in the country. Maybe rare in CA but real common in the midwest. Dry paper air cleaners are sort of rare in Midwest cars. That is a original steering wheel, but not the most up-trim one as it is not for the chrome horn ring. This car was not the top of the line model, more middle of the road. Someone has done a alternator conversion from the generator so likely also converted to 12v. Tells me it was used as a driver at least into the 70s or 80s.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I need that battery hold down.
      The valve covers should be left on the engine so the engine can stay complete for the person that needs it.
      I also saw the alternator and was thinking this might be a more resent addition to the yard.

Comment

Mechanically the car seems fairly complete. How many miles does the odometer show, and can the engine be turned by using pressure on the fan belt at the pulley? Does the car have stick and OD or is it automatic? If it has an automatic check the trans dip stick for red color of fluid. You will find the trans dip stick under an inspection cover in the center of the trans hump. The DG 250 transmissions are getting harder to come by, they were only used in 1955. How is the windshield?

1) carb and intake $100-150
        2) Air cleaner $50-75
        3) Transmission $150
        4) Good front brake drums $50-75 @
        5) Valve covers $15-20
        6) Good windshield $75-100

If most of us had this in there back yard we would probably part it out, but if we had to pay for the part at a wrecking yard and then try to resell, I doubt that most of us would waste our time.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the "1955 Commander". Was the oil bath air cleaner and steering wheel just used on the 1955 Commander or other years and models? Or would they be appropriate for other years/models?

Comment

4bbl Intake manifold and carb are an easy grab... Get them.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Many years and many makes of cars used the oil bath.
              That was a common service item to be cleaned and reoiled with each grease, oil and filter job.

Comment

It appears to be a totally stripped down Late '55 model without body side Mouldings.

The Numbers and Letters on the "Body Tag" on the passenger side of the Firewall under the hood, would help determine which Model.

To answer your question, yes most Studebaker Parts fit a fairly wide range of years, either as original, or just because you want to!

The basic Studebaker V8 Block from '51 to '64 never really changed, and especially not from '55 to '64, meaning very close to all Engine Parts interchange.

UPDATE: That Left Rear Finned 10 Inch Drum, may mean that it has a complete Dana 44 Rear Axle from a '56-'64 289 V8 Car.
                I would check the other drum and the Tag on the rear Cover of the Diff. who knows, it may even be a Twin Traction Limited Slip Differential.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 08-04-2015, 07:53 PM. Reason: Added New Info in Maroon
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Re the picture of the entire car, I think I saw that distinctive tripod thingie in a TV commercial last nite?
                  Was not really paying attention, so no other details.

Comment

The brakes are worth grabbing. Any 51 and newer Studebaker car can be upgraded to V-8 brakes with these brakes, as long as you get everything from the backing plate outwards. The drums on this car are mis-matched, with plain on the front and a finned drum on the rear, but that shouldn't stop you (no pun intended).

The steering wheel is the standard wheel for 53-56, rather than the deluxe one. The air cleaner is for the early four barrel carb. This is a mid-level commander, but it was equipped with a factory four barrel, so there might be other goodies on the car.

If the car has power steering, that complete system would be good to grab also. It will fit 53-56 sedans and wagons. With the addition of some different parts (steering column and frame brackets, the power steering system will fit 53-56 coupes and hard tops also.

Can you read the cowl tag on the firewall under the hood?

Six volt electrics, like windshield wiper motor, horns and the like are getting harder to find. 1955 was the last year for 6 volt systems in Studebakers.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                      Re the picture of the entire car, I think I saw that distinctive tripod thingie in a TV commercial last nite?
                      Was not really paying attention, so no other details.
                      Looked familiar to me too. There might be others around since it appears to be made from some metal building trusses.
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                        Looked familiar to me too. There might be others around since it appears to be made from some metal building trusses.
                        Probably at the Desert Valley Car Kings, Velocity Channel TV Show filmed at the Desert Valley Auto Parts Classic Car Junkyard in Arizona.

http://www.dvap.com/
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-04-2015, 07:43 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What do the rear lamp housings go for on these cars? One of the lens is cracked and the other is scratched. The chrome is decent without any major pitting. There is a slight crack on the housing (by the bottom). It appears that a good metal worker could repair it quite easily. I saw a couple of housing on Ebay for over $100 but that seems high to me. How difficult of a find are they and does anyone reproduce these things?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam's1967 View Post
                            What do the rear lamp housings go for on these cars? One of the lens is cracked and the other is scratched. The chrome is decent without any major pitting. There is a slight crack on the housing (by the bottom). It appears that a good metal worker could repair it quite easily. I saw a couple of housing on Ebay for over $100 but that seems high to me. How difficult of a find are they and does anyone reproduce these things?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Studeba...a7fa12&vxp=mtr
                            The lenses are occasionally available inexpensively NOS in the original box on ebay, and always available through vendors. The housings are potmetal, extremely difficult to repair.
                            Painted housings are available NOS.
                            Seems like the painted potmetal either didn't pit or not as badly as the chromed pieces so are good candidates for chroming.
                            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Sedan Tail Light Housings are a lot different than Coupes and Hardtops and not in as much demand, so there are still New NOS ones at South Bend in the boxes, but at $195.00 each for Chrome and $135.00 for Painted (Primed) they are still cheaper than replating a crusty used one.

The Pot Metal is difficult and expensive to repair, I would not pay over $10.00 for cracked and Pitted ones, IF I wanted used.
                              New Lenses are $56.00 each.

No Sedan Housings are reproduced, the '55's like most are one year only Parts.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X