71 Avanti dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 71 Avanti dash

Does the dash unbolt so I can get to the instruments? I have all new Sun Pro instruments to install, as well as a Burlwood vinyl to re-do the instrument plate and the console and glove box. I cannot stand on my head and replace the Instruments in that limited space.
    Last edited by Daver; 08-02-2015, 11:57 AM.

If you remove the wiring, speedo cable, oil pressure tube, etc. and undo the steering column support, lower the column to the seat base. You also have to undo the underdash console sides... There are the dash brace bolts (which are fairly easy), then at the base of the windshield are 4 smaller studs with washers and nuts. The windshield fasteners are the most difficult part, then the dash lifts up a tad and comes toward the seat..... I may have missed something small, but that's the crux of it..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Mean job.....anyway you look at it!

Comment

I pulled all my gauges out of the 83 by using a combination of reaching underneath, through the top of the dash where the radio grill would be and removing the end cap from the dash and cutting an opening that would be covered when you put the cap back on.

As Ed said, nasty job but I got it done. I'm not sure what's behind the end cap on the 71 but you should be able to look up and see if there's an advantage to getting in from the end.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
          removing the end cap from the dash and cutting an opening....

Bob
          Yes, great mention..... The end caps, once removed, can present a great deal of access. Scribe a line inside the perimeter where the caps screw on, then use a scroll saw to open the ends. The passenger side isn't too beneficial, as the glove box is in the way, but the drivers side gives you a great path to the gauges and things to the left of the steering column.. Once the job is done, replacing the aluminum caps will hide all evidence of the openings....
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Chalk one up for 'sweetolbob'......That 'end run' sounds like a good play to me!

Comment

Having hands the size of a five year old child is a great help...so is having long, slender fingers and a skinny arm. A normal size adult will have problems with clearance.

An Avanti II is usually more difficult to remove gauges than a Studebaker built Avanti...there's more under the drivers side of the dash...hazard flashers unit and wiring...electric trunk release and wiring if so equipped...rear defogger switch and wiring...more than Studebaker installed that you have to squeeze your hand through and around.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Speaking of Avanti dashboard access holes,....cutting one into the 'roof' of the glove box in order to reach that pain-in-the-neck right side wiper pivot and linkage isn't a bad idea either!

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                  If you remove the wiring, speedo cable, oil pressure tube, etc. and undo the steering column support, lower the column to the seat base. You also have to undo the underdash console sides... There are the dash brace bolts (which are fairly easy), then at the base of the windshield are 4 smaller studs with washers and nuts. The windshield fasteners are the most difficult part, then the dash lifts up a tad and comes toward the seat..... I may have missed something small, but that's the crux of it..
                  I have done this dozens of times. It takes maybe 40 minutes total, and access it undeniably much better than trying to reach from behind or below. Access to the tach sender, and all the instrument bulbs is also much better this way.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                  X