Dash is complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash is complete

I spent the evening putting the dash together while taking the other apart.The clock and glove box light look great in it. The dash insert really turned out great and I did not ruin this one. The other one I messed up trying to polish it with an abrasive compound. This time I used a nonabrasive product call "Bullit" by "Mother's" It is very expensive however it works great on aluminum and billet wheels I tried it on my 55 chevy and the wheels sparkled. Billet products require a special type of polish and this product is unlike anything

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

ooooooooh... pretty!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Nice looking Dash! The Amber (burnt Orange) Vinyl matches the Paint well.

You might want to turn the clock 3-5 degrees clockwise and the Instr. Lt. switch 10 degrees clockwise. I thought all those gauges and switches had keyway alignment "notches" to get them straight, but I don't see one in your fan switch hole so maybe not all did. [:0]

It WILL be easier now, to correct things than later![^]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I knew you would see thatdon't worry I rotated it. As you know the 56 clocks have a different fastner on the back. No natch, one question on my speedo there was a red wire anyone know what the other end attaches too?[8D]

Studebakers forever!
        Studebakers forever!

Comment

Well if it's coming from the two instrument light sockets, it goes to the instrument light switch. Usually they are white with a tracer color, unless it's grounded to the case, that's all it COULD be!

quote:Originally posted by studelover

one question on my speedo there was a red wire anyone know what the other end attaches too?
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I took a pic of this red wire because if I remember correctly it is very important, I don't know if it is a ground or has some kind of power lead. It may be on the wrong side.

Studebakers forever!
            Studebakers forever!

Comment

The way it's mounted it could only be a bonding ground. It looks like a fiberglass dash, the light needs to be grounded somewhere and the dash won't provide that. The wire, however looks like maybe a resistance wire, not your normal everyday bonding wire.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars3.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe
              '55 President State Sedan Project
              '60 Lark VI (Now on the market)
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

It is connected to the case, the only thing it can be is GROUND! If you had a factory light, it should be self grounding to the the case and then you would need to find a part of the steel frame of the dash to connect that red wire to. If you can't, just make a longer one from 16ga. wire.

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That red wire is not original to the dash. Someone added it as a ground- possibly because the dash lights were dim. Just about all the gauges are grounded to each other through the aluminum faceplate. This is a poor system. I always create a long #16 gage wire with several jumpers on it to individually ground each gauge, gauge cluster, clock, Radio, and glove-box light. Then I ground the wire to the long black dash mounting brace- usually on the glove-box side (less clutter).

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
                  Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
                  Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelover

The dash insert really turned out great and I did not ruin this one. This time I used a nonabrasive product call "Bullit" by "Mother's" It is very expensive however it works great on aluminum and billet wheels I tried it on my 55 chevy and the wheels sparkled. Billet products require a special type of polish and this product is unlike anything[img]
                    How do you use it on the Dash face.?????? Looks great. Is it a rub on and buff or what?

BG

Comment

it is rub on, non abrasive. Rub til clean then take a clean dry cloth and buff shine. Don't use a machine.

Studebakers forever!
                      Studebakers forever!

Comment

I found two places that carry it, but I am confused. One place shows a can for $52, the other says 4 oz. $14.95

Can you link me to your source.

Thanks

BG

Comment

Checker Auto Parts has the 4 oz for $8!

Carey
                          1958 Packard Hawk

Carey
                          Packard Hawk

Comment

Red wire goes from the other side of the bracket to the turn signal housing screw. It is a ground. The Billit polish is very expensive 52.00 a can or 14.95 for a small 4oz bottle. It is very high in polishing resin no hard work with it.Any parts store will have it, I got mine from auto zone.

Studebakers forever!
                            Studebakers forever!

Comment

I have used Blue Magic metal polish with great results and nowhere near as expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X