'Red Hot' Sixties Studebakers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Red Hot' Sixties Studebakers!

After having the pleasure of seeing the R3 '63 Avanti which was prepared by the Granatellis for the 1963 Hot Rod Magazine road test, it got me to thinking of the other truly rare and historic performance Studebakers from the 'Avanti Era'.

Here's the list I came up with.....Can anyone think of any others?

The nine 'factory' '64 R3 Avantis
    The Car Life Magazine 'factory' R4 Daytona Hardtop
    The 'factory' '64 R3 Commander 2dr Sedan
    The 'Paxton Prepared' Hot Rod Magazine '63 R3 Avanti (63R-1025)
    The 'Paxton Prepared' '64 R3 Daytona Hardtop
    The 'Due Cento' R5 Bonneville '63 Avanti
    The #9 R3 Bonneville Avanti'
    The #8 R3 'Bonneville Avanti'
    And any other surviving team cars from Studebaker's 1963 Bonneville efforts.

( Not ignoring great cars like the PBW here....but I'm speaking of cars prepped by Studebaker or a Studebaker subsidiary)
    Last edited by SN-60; 07-30-2015, 12:41 PM.

How about this one? Set 29 speed records at Bonneville in 1962/1963.

Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Yes!...I would agree!

Although I don't think it was entered into competition by Studebaker Corp itself.....it's 'close enough' when it was in it's 1963 'SPORTS CAR GRAPHIC' livery in my eyes!

I believe the SDC Forum's Jeff Rice is this historic '63 Avanti's current caretaker!

Comment

I'm thinking that the Sears-Allstate Studebaker Avanti that traversed the country in 1963 carrying Paula Murphy and crew would also be a 'star' today.

Although it was known more for stamina than high performance, it indeed was run at the flats after the cross-country stuff.

I wonder if that Avanti still exists somewhere?

Comment

This Avanti is owned by David Parris from North Carolina.
          Yes, the car is in my shop for some upgrades, so it can compete again.
          David has selected Studebaker V8 power to run!

How about this one? Set 29 speed records at Bonneville in 1962/1963.
          http://racingstudebakers.com/foo/vie...php?f=9&t=2731
          Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          <snip>
          I believe the SDC Forum's Jeff Rice is this historic '63 Avanti's current caretaker!
          Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 07-31-2015, 03:46 AM.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Ed,

Forgot to show you the information from Nostalgic Motors when you were here the other day. The car was delivered to Paxton in July of 62 but not invoiced by Studebaker to Paxton until July 64. The car was owned by Studebaker the entire time it was being modified and given to magazines for R3 road tests. It was not only "Paxton Prepared", it was also a "factory" Avanti.

Comment

Originally posted by rcrall View Post
              Ed,

Forgot to show you the information from Nostalgic Motors when you were here the other day. The car was delivered to Paxton in July of 62 but not invoiced by Studebaker to Paxton until July 64. The car was owned by Studebaker the entire time it was being modified and given to magazines for R3 road tests. It was not only "Paxton Prepared", it was also a "factory" Avanti.

Agreed Ron!....and what's EXTREMELY unique about 63R-1025 is that the engine in your car (an 'RS' numbered Avanti engine) was in all probability installed during factory production...then later modified by the Granatellis.

I don't know if everyone will understand or agree with what I'm saying here, but this Studebaker Avanti is actually the 'TENTH' R3 factory production Avanti!....And the earliest!....Once again, if the PO indicates the present engines serial number, then the engine in this car was initially installed during the earliest stages of Studebaker Avanti FACTORY production.

How could this car NOT be the tenth factory R3 Studebaker Avanti?

(Really not trying to confuse any established facts here folks......but think about this interesting situation.)
              Last edited by SN-60; 07-31-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

The 1964 Gran Turismo Hawk R2 (R3?) that was campaigned in a few USAC races in 1964, including I believe the 'YANKEE 300', with 'STUDEBAKER' on the 1/4 panels, would also be revered at current SDC meets. There was a rumor that it may still exist.....but then there was another rumor going around saying it was wrecked and parted out. (Originally a Bonneville team car)
                Last edited by SN-60; 08-03-2015, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Maybe a little early but I sure would like to find one of the Holman and Moody Larks.

Comment

Would the two supercharged Champ pickups qualify?
                    Evan Davis
                    Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

I hear that some guy named Nels owns most of 'em.

Comment

IIRC, there was also a 6-cyl Lark run at Bonneville as part of the Paxton effort; did something like 105 MPH.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Ed, wasn't a 64 Daytona Conv. run on the Salt Flats at that time.I remember Turning Wheels had a pic of it running - with the top stretched upwards like it was ready to be torn off.
                          Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          After having the pleasure of seeing the R3 '63 Avanti which was prepared by the Granatellis for the 1963 Hot Rod Magazine road test, it got me to thinking of the other truly rare and historic performance Studebakers from the 'Avanti Era'.

Here's the list I came up with.....Can anyone think of any others?

The nine 'factory' '64 R3 Avantis
                          The Car Life Magazine 'factory' R4 Daytona Hardtop
                          The 'factory' '64 R3 Commander 2dr Sedan
                          The 'Paxton Prepared' Hot Rod Magazine '63 R3 Avanti (63R-1025)
                          The 'Paxton Prepared' '64 R3 Daytona Hardtop
                          The 'Due Cento' R5 Bonneville '63 Avanti
                          The #9 R3 Bonneville Avanti'
                          The #8 R3 'Bonneville Avanti'
                          And any other surviving team cars from Studebaker's 1963 Bonneville efforts.

( Not ignoring great cars like the PBW here....but I'm speaking of cars prepped by Studebaker or a Studebaker subsidiary)
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                            Maybe a little early but I sure would like to find one of the Holman and Moody Larks.
                            The '59 ('60?) Lark sedans prepared by the famed Holman-Moody (Competition-Proven) race team for road racing would certainly qualify for an honored spot at any SDC meet!

Comment

I'm thinking that Chapman's race prepared Canadian Studebaker road rally cars would be right there parked with the 'honored' Studebakers also! Do any still survive? (Rumor has it at least one does!)

Comment

Working...
                              X