Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utility Pole Adventures...

Utility Pole Adventures

Last year I noticed that there was a power pole on the farm that was not in too good of shape. Likely an
    original pole from about 1944 when electric power arrived at the farm.
    I found out from a on-line document that the power company would not replace this, even though their line
    from the transformer goes to it and also has their meters on it. This pole is the first pole after the
    transformer pole that steps the (7000v!) down to 240v. I also talked to the lineman for the area (must
    cover at least a 60m area, a busy guy) and confirmed this pole is the customer's problem. This may
    depend on the power company and some would replace the pole with the meters on but not this one.

Anyway, I got a recommendation from the lineman of a electrician in the area who could do this. Not all
    electricians are equipped to R&R power poles. Fortunately, I was able to get ahold of the guy quickly
    and he was up to the job. Sort of a suprise as my experiences with a lot of trades folks leave something
    to be desired in that they are not interested in a project, unless its a quicky.

I had the guuy out to survey the project about 2 weeks ago. The next problem was to source a replacement
    pole. Oddly, these are not easy to come by for the general public. Some utility companies will sell
    used ones but others not. New ones, haha. The local company one of the later. After checking out some
    leads, I talked to a place that claimed to have both new and used poles for sale. A new pole seemed more
    attractive than used so I made a trip there friday before last. About a 1.5hr trip I estimated to get
    there.

So, I got to the pole place and find out they didn't have any new poles the size I needed despite what
    the guy on the phone said. A real interesting "rustic" sort of place, haha. Hope OSHA does not pay them
    a visit.... So, I got a decent enough used 30ft pole for $65.

Lots of traffic in that area so I tried to find a different route back to the farm to avoid lots of turns
    and going through smaller towns. Actually went through Annandale on the way there a week before the UMV
    zone meet was held there last weekend. Unfortunately, I missed a turn getting off US10 East of St Cloud,
    MN due to my view of signs blocked by a truck and I got stuck going through the main shopping district of
    St Cloud, MN and could not turn off due to excessive traffic. Arrgh! Having a 30' pole on a 18' trailer
    can be a issue! 12 ft of pole out the back means excess care in turns. Eventually, I made it out of
    town and was able to get back to the farm over 5hrs after I left.

So, here is the 30' pole on my 18' trailer when I arrived at the farm:

Next to unload it. I got out the 1936 Allis Chalmers tractor to lift it off and also took the

opportunity to soak it with a couple gallons of used motor oil for extra preservative.

Wednesday morning arrived and so did the electrician. It was time to start on this.

Here is the old pole:

Another view. And no, I was standing straight, its the pole leaning...

I had previously cut down and trimmed some brush and trees that were growing up around this pole. But,
    this seemed like a good time to cut down a NOW rather good sized tree that should have been cut down
    years ago that was leaning over one of the lines attached to the pole. So, while waiting for the utility
    company lineman to arrive to disconnect the power, the electrician used my chainsaw and his bucket truck
    to hack away on this.

We found out that removing one of the overhead lines from the pole would mean it fell over (that rotted)
    so we ran a temporary wire from the pole to the stump of the tree just cut down to hold it up until the
    main incoming line could be removed by the utility company lineman.

So he arrived and proceeded to disconnect the power line from the transformer pole:

Once the line was removed, the tether line from the stump was cut, and the old pole just fell over as it
    snapped off at ground level. Totally rotted as expected.

The top end did not look too great either:

The electrician underestimated the rottenness of the pole and did not bring a auger assuming he could
    pull out the pole and reuse the hole. Haha on him. So, he had to go get the auger and return. After
    augering a new hole nearby, the replacement pole was manuvered into place.

Once the pole was set in place, replacing the hardware proceeded normally. None of the old conduit and
    panels, etc was reused. It was from the 70s and as I fould out later attempting to strip it off the pole
    was corroded and broke attempting to get apart.

In all this activity was trenching a new line to a garage that formerly was on its own meter (no reason
    now, but made sense 30yrs ago). So it was a full day effort.

Here is the final result.

I spent much of the day offering any needed assistance and hauling away cut brush, etc. Totally
    exhausted. The day after I finished clearing up the debris and getting rid of the old pole and other
    junk from the job. There is still some dirt work type stuff to do to clean up the yard from all the
    digging and so on.

Jeff in ND

Interesting and well done story, Jeff.

Beautiful farm! . You are fortunate to have grown up there.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Fun read!....
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

As with Your other post Jeff,this is really enjoyable. reminds Me of some back home days !
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I have a pole leaning over in the back of my property too. 6 years ago I had to pay $220 for a building permit just to have the old 100 amp box replaced with another box of the same rating, doing the job myself. I'd hate to think of what they'd charge me to replace my pole. Maybe I can get away with it for awhile since it was installed (I suspect) in 1989 when the house was built.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Beautiful property and good story. Thanks, Jeff.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

An interesting story indeed; thanks (Boy, that old sucker was rotten!) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Years ago I was on a ladder cutting a limb out of my grandmother's tree. The limb sagged down onto her phone line and the pole in our front yard fell out into our driveway. Luckily, there were no cars parked where it fell. The phone company replaced the pole quickly. The man said he was glad the pole fell like it did because one of their men could have tried to climb it at some point. That replacement pole is long gone as the lines are buried now.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Very interesting read, Jeff and well documented. You have a beautiful country estate you should be very proud of. I'm really glad that nothing went awry as could so easily happen. You have just reinforced why I buried all our power lines in our "off grid" mountainous retreat here in British Columbia as I would have had great difficulty in accomplishing what you did.
                  Cheers,
                  Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X