Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone repost the color factory slides

Hi all,
    I've been using the 1965 factory slides that were posted on here last year to look at paint schemes. Up until this week, I could find them in the search function. Now they're gone. Can someone repost them? I'm in the middle of painting my engine. Thanks!

You really can't miss by much with all Black and early Yellow Valve covers or late Black ones, Black is Black.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Craig

Comment

StudeRich... There are more "black" formulas than you can imagine. But for a Studebaker engine you are correct... "Black is Black".
        I never believed there were so many "white" formulas until I was working in a body shop back in the late 1950's; and there have to be more today.

Comment

Sorry but Rich is right. Back in the day when things were simpler there was only one color formula for black. I just picked up my DuPont color chip book for 1979 & found that the same color formula for black was used by AMC, Chrysler, Ford & G.M. (DuPont #99) This naturally applied to the exterior & interior colors (interior colors usually required some amount of flattening compound). Some years later manufacturers started "playing" with black colors adding different metallics & altering the shade by various means.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks for posting the slides. I agree black may be black (back in the day), but I am playing with gloss levels to get it looking right. I'm using acrylic urethane which is extremely glossy and requires a dulling agent to get it nice. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X