Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R2 Lark spotlighted in September Hemmings Muscle Machines...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 Lark spotlighted in September Hemmings Muscle Machines...

I just received the new issue of HMM was very pleased to see the first car profile is the '63 R2 Lark used by the Granatellis at Bonneville and now owned by Jon Myer.

The article is very positive for the Studebaker brand. Jon Myer explained the history of the car and what constitutes a "Super Lark". Some information given by the author of the article is a bit inaccurate, but we're used to such things.

The author states that when Studebaker purchased Paxton that Andy Granatelli was named a VP of Studebaker and chief engineer of the company. My understanding is Andy was head of the Paxton Division of Studebaker, not of the Studebaker Corporation and Eugene Hardig was VP of Engineering for the corporation.

Regardless of the few pieces of incorrect information, the article was very positive and great exposure. In the letters to the editor section is also a highlighted letter from George Krem, past president of the SDC and cousin of Bob Palma, a contributing columnist for Hemmings Classic Cars.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

That's a nice article in the September HMM about Jon Myer's '63 R2 Lark--congrats, Jon. We'll take all the Studebaker publicity we can get!

In the July HMM, columnist Jim McGowan had discussed the topics of growing old--both us and our muscle cars. He mentioned that the "1964 GTO is often recognized to be the first muscle car." I couldn't stop myself from putting in a plug for the 1963 R2-powered Studebaker Lark as a candidate for first muscle car. To my surprise, they published my letter.

George
    george krem

Comment

Working...
    X