Studebaker plant in New Brunswick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker plant in New Brunswick

A friend here at work told me this morning the Studebaker plant in N.J. may have been destroyed in a fire , Since I am at work this is difficult to confirm , Any other news about this ?

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
    A friend here at work told me this morning the Studebaker plant in N.J. may have been destroyed in a fire , Since I am at work this is difficult to confirm , Any other news about this ?
    It is my recollection that Studebaker purchased this property in 1951 but never made use of it. It is possible it was used for some defense contract assemblies. Does anyone know for certain? I have no idea how this property has been used for the past 60 plus years.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Bob Johnstone's site has a post from Turning Wheels on the New Brunswick plant: http://www.studebaker-info.org/TW/tw0195/tw0195p06.html

I saw a post on facebook about the fire & how it was originally built by Studebaker but cant find the post now. It was being operated by DCH for auto repairs. What kind of repairs articles I've read hadn't said.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Wow! That thing is HUGE! Studebaker sure did things on a Grand Scale didn't they, and always the very BEST Quality also.

I read somewhere that they were a bit Paranoid after the Big Fire that took out their wooden Wagon Factory, and always used Concrete and Brick after that, but I don't know if that would have continued after the family was out of the Business.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It's really a shame the way things went. South Bend was old & inefficient & had a union workforce that was paid more then their Detroit counterparts. Perhaps it would have been better to run the Los Angeles & New Brunswick plants & close the South Bend operation except for the foundry, stamping ect. Oh well, one can only dream of what could have been.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I think the closure of the Studebaker plant in Detroit was one of their bigger mistakes, as Detroit is/was THE hub for the U.S. automotive industry. A presence in Detroit at the time should not have been ignored.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              I think the closure of the Studebaker plant in Detroit was one of their bigger mistakes, as Detroit is/was THE hub for the U.S. automotive industry. A presence in Detroit at the time should not have been ignored.

Craig
              It didn't seem to help Packard being there...

Comment

Working...
              X