Mr. Gasket Thermocap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Mr. Gasket Thermocap

Anyone else ever used a Mr. Gasket Thermocap? I just bought one and before installing it, I tested it with boiling water - I also test all of my thermostats before installing them - and I found that in boiling water, the Thermocap read 240 degrees F. My altitude is about 1200 feet above sea level, so water should boil at about 210 degrees F. I was careful to suspend the Thermocap so that the temperature probe was not touching the bottom of the pan. Anyone have a different experience? Thanks.

I had to look up Thermocap to see what it was. Interesting idea for someone who plans on removing their radiator cap while the engine might be hot. I think I would send that one back for a replacement.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sometimes 'Gadgets" like that are better left on the shelf. More complex =more likely to Fail/Leak, stick with a Standard Stant 14 Lb. Cap, no "Lever-Vent" either.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Agree, I have a 1999 Honda Valkyrie. It does not have a coolant temperature gauge. Someone found one of these Mr. Gasket thermocaps and thought it would be a great idea. Found out very inaccurate and many also leaked out of the box. Stick with simple

Comment

I have seen one in use but that was on Pat's Lark and he sold it a few months back. I thought of getting one myself but now I will not. I'm unsure if he reads the forum anymore but he could tell you first had how it behaved. If the new owner is on the forum they might have some stories to accompany the cap.

Len

Comment

Working...
          X