So how dangerous would it be.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how dangerous would it be.....

....to show up at next month's national meet with funds set aside for a 1960 Hawk?

The 1960 Hawk and a 1963-64 Avanti R-2 4-speed are my Kryptonite.

Dangerous as in; you might find what you want and spend your money? Or that you won't find what you want and go home with your money and a heap of disappointment?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Getting tempted in buying one....and then actually buying it. Is the corral a good place to find these cars?

Comment

Ever heard the saying "MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS"?

Well, whoever said that must have never bought a STUDEBAKER.

Comment

Your chances of getting a good look at the Car you like are better in the Car Corral than eBay, but the Cars are probably equal some good, some not so much, but the prices are usually fixed, so you do not have to outbid someone.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Indyted View Post
            ....to show up at next month's national meet with funds set aside for a 1960 Hawk?

The 1960 Hawk and a 1963-64 Avanti R-2 4-speed are my Kryptonite.
            If you have the money...why wait? The one you want may be sold by then.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

'Sounds like as good a place as any, Ted.

The big advantage is that you get to inspect the car in person, and there are plenty of "experts" ( both real and imagined) on the premises to advise you! BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The danger is just as great on ebay. You put in a low bid knowing for sure that someone is going to out bid you and then.....
                I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Best not to carry a lot of cash. Nowadays one needs to be aware that if for any reason they have a traffic encounter involving police officers, any large amount of cash can, and likely will be confiscated for P.D. purposes. Good luck ever getting it returned.
                  Used to be we only needed worry about criminals robbing us in broad daylight, now its the Police Departments that commit Highway Robbery, with the full legal backing of State and Federal laws. For large cash transactions carry Travelers Checks.

Comment

Any serious seller should be willing to part with their vehicle for some amount of non-refundable earnest money--sans title.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                      Best not to carry a lot of cash. Nowadays one needs to be aware that if for any reason they have a traffic encounter involving police officers, any large amount of cash can, and likely will be confiscated for P.D. purposes. Good luck ever getting it returned.
                      Used to be we only needed worry about criminals robbing us in broad daylight, now its the Police Departments that commit Highway Robbery, with the full legal backing of State and Federal laws. For large cash transactions carry Travelers Checks.
                      Very true. I have heard of those stories too. I would likely have the means the wire the money from bank to bank. Plus, being the President of the AOAI - Indiana Chapter and the son of one of the designers of the Avanti, I aint Mr. Obsurity.

And I ever ever tried something sneaky and welched a payment, a posse of Bob Palma, Chuck Kern, Ed Reynolds and Mike Baker would track me down and break both of my legs.

Comment

Don't limit the looking to just the car corral.Many a deal has been struck just by talking to a owner.
                        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
                          Don't limit the looking to just the car corral.Many a deal has been struck just by talking to a owner.
                          Yep, almost every car I ever bought has been by just asking the owner if they would care to sell their car. In fact the first Studebaker I bought in late 68 was because I stood by the car parked at a church in El Paso, Texas. I waited for the owner to come out so I could ask if they would care to sell the car. Two little old ladies got into the car, and I asked the driver if she would care to sell. She said yes, as a matter of fact she was about to buy a VW Beetle, so I could come over on Thursday to pick it up. When I asked the price, she said "would $100 be too much"? Of course I said no, that would be fine if it's OK with her. When I went to her apartment on Thursday to pay, she said she thought $100 was too much, so I should only give her $85. I still have that fine 1950 Commander, but it has used a quart of oil for each 100 miles since I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                            Subsequent to any traffic stop, a police officer would need probable cause to search you or your vehicle. I doubt the average Studebaker driver fits any type of police profile other than those related to age impaired driving.

Comment

When I bought my car at a meet had a letter from my bank stating my check was good for X $ and wrote the seller a check. I assume banks still do that

Comment

Working...
                              X