The Definition of Muscle Car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Definition of Muscle Car...

...has apparently been expanded since our last forum "discussion." Yipes! [:0] To wit:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

The more that is written about what is a muscle car, which models should be included, the more it becomes an academic exercise - important mainly for the car show crowd who wish to debate such points with the owners of cars while they are sitting in lawn chairs. It would be more interesting if more of these people would bring their car to the track and put an angry tire in motion.

Of course the SEMA Show writer will cater to customs and mix in later models - it is the "Specialty" Equipment Manufacturers Association.

I like '56J's - but I've never seen one run the drags or the Maxton Mile.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
    Packrat junk collector
    '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

The more that is written about what is a muscle car, which models should be included, the more it becomes an academic exercise - important mainly for the car show crowd who wish to debate such points with the owners of cars while they are sitting in lawn chairs. It would be more interesting if more of these people would bring their car to the track and put an angry tire in motion.

Of course the SEMA Show writer will cater to customs and mix in later models - it is the "Specialty" Equipment Manufacturers Association.

I like '56J's - but I've never seen one run the drags or the Maxton Mile.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
      Packrat junk collector
      '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Patrick Foster wrote a good article in the August 2007 issue of Hemmings Classic Car magazine.

Of course he is an AMC guy and likes independents.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Patrick Foster wrote a good article in the August 2007 issue of Hemmings Classic Car magazine.

Of course he is an AMC guy and likes independents.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Yep, those '56J's, especially the overdrive equipped ones, will flat out get on down the road in a hurry...

Matthew Burnette
            '59 Scotsman
            '63 Daytona
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Yep, those '56J's, especially the overdrive equipped ones, will flat out get on down the road in a hurry...

Matthew Burnette
              '59 Scotsman
              '63 Daytona
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Well it depends on what you call muscle. Performance or durability. Then or now. My 63 Lark holds it own at the Drag Strip. Its a daily driver that I drive on vacation in the summer. It takes us skiing in the winter. It even tows my daughters car to the drag strip. Drive across country to Studebaker meets. Thats muscle to me.
                Gordon

Comment

Well it depends on what you call muscle. Performance or durability. Then or now. My 63 Lark holds it own at the Drag Strip. Its a daily driver that I drive on vacation in the summer. It takes us skiing in the winter. It even tows my daughters car to the drag strip. Drive across country to Studebaker meets. Thats muscle to me.
                  Gordon

Comment

I worked on (mechanically) a black 1956 Golden Hawk with overdrive that was owned by a friend of mine. That GH did quite well in drag racing on the East Coast (written up in magazines, etc.).

The sad part is that the owner got fed up with the car and used it for landfill, as he did with many rare cars. I was able to buy his black 1957 Golden Hawk with overdrive when he tired of it.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I worked on (mechanically) a black 1956 Golden Hawk with overdrive that was owned by a friend of mine. That GH did quite well in drag racing on the East Coast (written up in magazines, etc.).

The sad part is that the owner got fed up with the car and used it for landfill, as he did with many rare cars. I was able to buy his black 1957 Golden Hawk with overdrive when he tired of it.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                      X