Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on redevelopment of Building "84"

Nice little bit in Notre Dame Magazine. http://magazine.nd.edu/news/59048/

Thank you for this interesting and informative article.
    I wish the best for South Bend.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It's wonderful to see the city of South Bend reinvent itself as it has. What a great story.
      Thanks for the good news.
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
        Nice little bit in Notre Dame Magazine. http://magazine.nd.edu/news/59048/
        Tim, thank you so much for posting this wonderful story. I will most certainly be using it our discussions with the City of Hamilton in our efforts to preserve the Studebaker Canadian legacy in the development of the site of the former Studebaker Canadian assembly plant. Maybe some of South Bend's ingenuity will rub off on Hamilton.

Stu Chapman

Comment

I'm still crying over not saving the Engineering Building.

Comment

I'm still crying over not saving the Engineering Building.
            I certainly can understand that Tim.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Interesting article.
              I agree that it was a shame to demolish the engineering building. I dont know the reasons behind the demolition. Before demolition, I wrote to government officials in Indiana in an attempt to save it but I received no replies. How nice it would have been to have the Studebaker International store/warehouse there.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Did you catch the Promise in there By Mr. Smith to GIVE the Studebaker Drivers Club a Space in his Newly redeveloped building?

I say; Awesome! ... When do we move in?

Talking about Studebaker Assembly Building #84:

"Acquiring the building had taken longer than expected. The city finally announced the deal on Dec. 20, 2013, on the 50th anniversary of the shutdown of the assembly line. Twenty spotlights shining into the sky around the city highlighted innovative success stories developed since Studebaker closed, with the last spotlight illuminating Ivy Tower. Smith unveiled ambitious plans that include data centers, enterprise business space, first-floor retail, a glass-topped courtyard, top-floor condos with green-roof patios overlooking the minor league baseball field, and an innovation center that would retrain workers for the new economy. He promised space to the Studebaker Drivers Club and a group of civic-improvement entrepreneurs, recently graduated from Notre Dame, called enFocus."
                Last edited by StudeRich; 07-15-2015, 05:12 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Did you catch the Promise in there By Mr. Smith to GIVE the Studebaker Drivers Club a Space in his Newly redeveloped building?

I say; Awesome! ... When do we move in?
                  Perhaps there will be enough empty space remaining that the 2017 International SDC Meet can be held there! It would be a great place for a Studebaker show.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

There has been talk about a car show at "The Studebaker Garage" as Kevin Smith refers to it.There should also be some pretty exciting news coming out of there soon for Studebaker fanatics. Keep us informed on what's happening up north Stu. I'm sure Kevin would be interested.

Comment

There has been talk about a car show at "The Studebaker Garage" as Kevin Smith refers to it.There should also be some pretty exciting news coming out of there soon for Studebaker fanatics. Keep us informed on what's happening up north Stu. I'm sure Kevin would be interested.
                      I certainly will Tim.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                      X