53 Package Tray Picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Package Tray Picture

I need a picture of a package tray cover, (especially where the cover meets the seat back) on a 53 regal c body. Mine was missing and I trying to determine how an original one looked. Can anyone help me? Thanks

I can get you a picture of a '53 K body tomorrow if that would help. The car still has the original interior.

Good to see you, Tex!

Comment

That would be great Matthew. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
        I need a picture of a package tray cover, (especially where the cover meets the seat back) on a 53 regal c body. Mine was missing and I trying to determine how an original one looked. Can anyone help me? Thanks
        The original is going to depend on when in the 1953 model year the car was built. There were at least three different types of package trays/covers for 1953 C/K models.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          The original is going to depend on when in the 1953 model year the car was built. There were at least three different types of package trays/covers for 1953 C/K models.
          I didn't realize there were three. I thought there was just the early plain metal with a stamped s and then the later with the cover. I would like to see all three in photos. I think the remains of one I had in a parts car may have been a late original, but it's gone. Were the two variations that used covers, one with just cardboard and one with a trim piece sewn on?? Mine originally had a cover, and it's probably a later one.

Comment

I didn't realize there were three. I thought there was just the early plain metal with a stamped s and then the later with the cover. I would like to see all three in photos. I think the remains of one I had in a parts car may have been a late original, but it's gone. Were the two variations that used covers, one with just cardboard and one with a trim piece sewn on?? Mine originally had a cover, and it's probably a later one.
            Besides the uncovered metal, I am thinking of the "normal" one-piece cover and the two-piece cover that appears to have about a two inch filler piece at the front end (by the rear seat).
            What is the S/N of your car?
            The cardboard cover had stitching/welting at the front edge (by the rear seat). The carboard is the same color as the front kick panels - Loma Gray, Golden Tan, Scarlet Red or Flax.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I assumed mine is original, but Gary would know for sure. It's dirty and faded, but should give you an idea. It seems to be cardboard wrapped in vinyl.

This is a 53 Commander K body with a build date of August, 1953 with a Golden Tan interior.

EDIT: I'm now seeing that the grain and color of the vinyl is different between the package tray and the seat. Likely not original at all.

Attached Files
              Last edited by mbstude; 07-11-2015, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the picture, Matthew. Thanks for the info Gary: The serial # on my car is 8346809. Final assembly date 8/19/53. Is Matthews the second or third option after, the plain metal ?
                So does this tell us? Gary, do you, or does anyone have, or can take, a picture of the third option?
                Is the other one the one with the stitching/welting???

Comment

For what it's worth, mine is serial number 8342521. Final assembly date 8/4/53.
                  Last edited by mbstude; 07-11-2015, 12:59 PM.

Comment

From John Bridges' book.

Comment

My '53 coupe (8311143) Click image for larger version

Name:	P7120407.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1699281Click image for larger version

Name:	P7120408.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1699282came off the line in South Bend on 4/30/53 and has a metal shelf with an upholstered filler panel between the seat cushion and package shelf.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        For what it's worth, mine is serial number 8342521. Final assembly date 8/4/53.
                        That should be my car! It's final assembly date was one of my birthdays.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks a lot for the picture, Matthew. Thanks for the info Gary: The serial # on my car is 8346809. Final assembly date 8/19/53. Is Matthews the second or third option after, the plain metal ?
                          So does this tell us? Gary, do you, or does anyone have, or can take, a picture of the third option?
                          Is the other one the one with the stitching/welting???
                          Your car is a late car. It should have the one piece cardboard panel.
                          Rockne's car is very early. He shows the filler panel that I referred to that was used on early cars. Your car should not have this filler panel.
                          John Bridges' book does not cover the various versions of this item. What he pictured is what you should have in your car.
                          It should be colored cardboard, not covered in vinyl.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I guess the one from Bridges' book is correct for mine, Huh? Has anyone used one from a vendor and is it wide like the one on Matthews car and the book picture? I guess it would cover the filler panel?

Comment

I guess the one from Bridges' book is correct for mine, Huh?
                              I think that's right, Tex.

I know that my car had a lot of work done to it in the late 80's. I'm assuming the package tray was replaced then. I didn't know it was incorrect until you posted this thread. 'Learn something every day!

Comment

Working...
                              X