K 5196 bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K 5196 bushings

I happened to be on rockauto's web site last week and saw that they had the upper control arm bushings on sale and seeing as how I will need a set on the next hawk project thought why not. They showed them as their cheap set at $2. something a set of two. so I ordered two set's for just under $5,00 shipping cost more the parts. Total with shipping just under$ 13.00. Got here yesterday and they where moog brand name and made in Mexico not China. I see they have them today for $3.30 a set.

You got a deal.... today they're 5.80
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

You really have to wonder what kind of "game" they are playing with minute by minute price changes.

My guess is they are the Chev. Bushings that do not fit, and or may be Old, old, NOS stock

Studebaker Bushings are all Harris, so if Moog ever made them for Studebakers, it would be 51 years ago when there was adequate demand for them.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-09-2015, 09:47 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        You really have to wonder what kind of "game" they are playing with minute by minute price changes.
        I think that their prices, and those of others, are supply/demand driven. They may have priced them low figuring that there was no demand for them. When they got a few orders, they raised their price. If they have a small supply of them, they may raise their price as the supply dwindles. I have seen this approach by others, including exclusive Studebaker vendors.
        I have done well with Rock Auto. I have noticed rapid listing changes on items.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes the k-5196 is the gm bushing the same as what I used on the 64 hawk restore. Three out of the four fit perfect couldn't have asked for anything better. Just as good as the factory part. On the one that didn't fit right it was the shaft not the bushing that made it to tight. No matter how you swapped the bushings around the one shaft end wouldn't allow the bushing to slide on. A few passes with a file and some emery cloth and it worked also. I sure don't have a issue using them when I can cut my cost by 75%. The first set I used where from China which I would guess is what you would get from a Studebaker vendor also. Now if they are from the USA. I could see the extra cost and on some may even spend the extra money.

Comment

I can't speak for some of the other vendors, but I try to only buy made in America parts. It is getting harder, all the time, to do this. Some suppliers are forced to cut corners to compete with the cheaply made over seas junk, or forced out of business all together. I have to withdraw these parts from the inventory as the supply dwindles. I tried the Chicom junk and will not buy, or sell it, because of fit and failure problems. The Taiwanese stuff is hit and miss. I kinda like the Canadian and Mexican stuff, it is better quality then the Chicom junk. NOS is a dying thing and finding good usable rubber is like holding your breath until you turn Blue! So, what's a body to do? Make your own?
            Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
              So, what's a body to do? Make your own?
              Why can't we get PolyUrethane bushings?
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
              X