Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible reproduction of back glass for '58 stude/packard 2 door hardtop. Any interest???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible reproduction of back glass for '58 stude/packard 2 door hardtop. Any interest???

I've had several requests recently for back windows for the 1958 2 door hardtop (not Hawks). After scouring the likely sources, it appears there are no NOS or repops to be found. If there is enough interest, I would undertake reproduction in clear and green glass. I know there are folks with broken out glass and badly scratched glass. I can't do this without firm commitments to purchase (payment in advance) and will need an original sample. The sample can be scratched. If someone out there is engaged in restoring one of these and can offer their glass as a pattern, you will receive one free of charge (pay shipping only) when they are finished. This is not a done deal until:
    1. I have 30 committed sales
    2. I have a sample to ship to the factory

Total process will take approx. 6 months. Sale price would be somewhere around $250-$400.

Please post to this thread with your questions and commitments.

Russ
    Studebaker Glass & Rubber
    Russ Jenks
    Idaho Falls, ID
    \'62 GT Hawk
    \'64 GT Super Hawk
    \'60 Champ (2)

It's nice too know some one cares enough too offer this up.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Please forgive me as I have mentioned this glass several time here on our forum.
      There is, maybe was, a nice rear glass in a salvage yard in Hartford SD called Oakleaf Auto Inc. 605-528-3244
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1699242
      There was a fellow in Australia looking for one and one other forum member in need who I passed this information on.
      Perhaps one of them may have purchased this glass, if not, it would make a nice pattern.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
        Please forgive me as I have mentioned this glass several time here on our forum.
        There is, maybe was, a nice rear glass in a salvage yard in Hartford SD called Oakleaf Auto Inc. 605-528-3244
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]45568[/ATTACH]
        There was a fellow in Australia looking for one and one other forum member in need who I passed this information on.
        Perhaps one of them may have purchased this glass, if not, it would make a nice pattern.
        Thanks 57pack. Must admit I don't spend a great deal of time on the forum. This looks good; I've called them but can't get a status on the car until Saturday. If this is available, just need the orders.
        Russ Jenks
        Idaho Falls, ID
        \'62 GT Hawk
        \'64 GT Super Hawk
        \'60 Champ (2)

Comment

This is a noble effort. Having owned one these Packard Hardtops for more than nine years, I have an interest in them.
          The problem that I see is in you getting 30 orders placed. When new, there were 3846 Studebakers and 675 Packards that used this glass. I doubt that 500 of these cars still exist. From that, I could see you getting 10 prepaid orders. That is just my evaluation of the situation. I know that there is SOME demand. I wish you well on this endeavor.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Is this a hardtop only item? Wondering if the back glass interchanges with any other sedans 1956-. I think that I have a useable back glass from a 1956 Commander sedan.-Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
              Is this a hardtop only item? Wondering if the back glass interchanges with any other sedans 1956-. I think that I have a useable back glass from a 1956 Commander sedan.-Bill
              Fits only 1958 Stude & Packard 2 door hard tops.
              Russ Jenks
              Idaho Falls, ID
              \'62 GT Hawk
              \'64 GT Super Hawk
              \'60 Champ (2)

Comment

Not a chance at all Bill:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadowtone Red Jewel Beige Comm J4a.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	1699264 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pres Sedan Whtgold_Wht1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1699265

You really have to be pretty sharp to be a Stude. Glass Guy, because the '53 to '58 Sedan Rear Glass for instance, may LOOK alike, but the '53 to '55 is one, the '56-'57 is another and the '58 Sedan is still another shape and size Glass! Basically just Taller, as the years went on.

THEN, there is the '59-'60 Lark W,F,Y and J, which also LOOK the same but are not, as ANY of the above!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 07-10-2015, 12:59 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There was someone in Texas who had a Parade Red Commander Hardtop that was missing the rear window. That one was a real beauty when new! Hope they see this.

Comment

I would be interested and would supply a back glass in return for a reproduction, in fact I have one already crated up for shipping.

Comment

My experience with trying to pre-sell a reproduced part BEFORE IT IS MADE has been a bit disappointing. I suspect that many potential customers are not inclined to place an order until they can actually see the part or know at least that it is now available. I guess there have been a few very well intentioned projects like this that haven't got off the ground in the past so buyers hang back and wait, even though there may be a genuine need. Im sure Ed Reynold's experience is similar. But I sincerely hope you get your needed pre-orders (will try to push a few your way) and that many other projects like this succeed.

Chris
                      STUDEBAKER of AUSTRALIA

Comment

Well Hey, the Hilibrand repro Alloy Wheels made the cut, but probably had MORE money behind them than the average Stude. owner has.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I know that they would eventually sell, it is my thinking that if you own one of these cars, you should have a spare rear window, I have thought about selling my spare but then what would I do if I needed it ?

Comment

Russ, I have sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X