New member with a 2R truck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member with a 2R truck question

Hello, I found this forum while doing research about a Studebaker 2R stake bed truck that my Mom inherited from her father in 1979. It has been in the garage since he passed away in '79. He acquired the truck in 1972, It was owned by Lutz Ice Company here in Appleton and was used to deliver blocks of ice around town. It still has the hand painted business name on the doors. The issue is that after his death it sat behind a local feed store and the kids broke all the windows out. It only has about 26,000 +/- miles and is in pretty good shape from what I can tell. I have grown up with that truck in the garage and it has only been out once in my lifetime (I'm 43). About 15-20 years ago, we pulled it out of the garage and turned it around and pushed it back in the garage. I poured some oil down the cylinders and turned over the engine by hand to make sure it wasn't froze (at the time), and it has sat there ever since. The truck is buried under all sorts of things that she has accumulated over the years... There is stuff In it, on it, under it, and in front of it. I have been asking her to let me pull it out and see if I can get it back on the road for years, and she finally agreed. Sorry if I got a little long winded!!

So, my question is the title says its a 1948, but doing the reading on the truck history page, it seems like they all should have been titled as 1949's. On the title it says ident or engine number 3R5591 which should make it a 2R16 or 2R17, correct? It is not a dully. Title says body type-weight 6000lb. I can't get the hood or the drivers door open to check the numbers myself until I get it uncovered. I am pretty excited about getting into this thing after seeing it sit in the garage for 36 years!!

I am sure I am going to have all sorts of questions, and need some of your expertise as I get the project started. My plan is to try and keep it as stock as possible, with it's patina and the hand lettering on the doors it's a pretty cool looking truck. Thanks for reading all of my gibberish and I look forward to learning from you all.

Scotty B

Welcome to the SDC Forum Scotty and you will enjoy belonging to the International SDC you can join at a first year discount and receive our outstanding Monthly Publication; "Turning Wheels".

I am glad to hear you say you want to restore/repair this truck as much Original as possible, they are THE most beautiful Trucks of the time.

I think you will find that it may have been first sold in 1948, but is a 1949.

You are correct, the 3R Engine makes it a 2R16 or 2R17 with the 226 c.i.d. Big Six.

You will not find any useful info under the Hood on a Truck, it's inside the Drivers Door on the rear post and the Floor on the Seat Riser.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-08-2015, 06:51 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Be sure to check out this site also. http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885 The really hard core Studebaker truck guys have lots of good info available there.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

What Rich said -- the 3R engine number and the 6000 lb weight indicate a 2R16 or 17. Those trucks came in several wheelbases, the smallest of which was 131", and most had dually rears.
        The 2R series was introduced in early 1948 (as 1949 models), but many local DMV offices registered them as 1948 models.

The glass should not be much of a problem, as all of it is flat. I think I have a used, cracked door window somewhere that could be used as a pattern.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Once you get it out of the garage, take some pictures and post them here. And you can register it at the 2R Truck Registry site. Welcome aboard!
          Rick
          Kingman, AZ

Comment

Spec sheet for the R16 1 1/2 ton

Click image for larger version

Name:	truck R16A p1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	1699243Click image for larger version

Name:	truck R16A p2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	1699244
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Those Spec Sheets have a lot of good info, thanks for posting them Richard.

There may be a just few differences between the R16, R17 and the R16A, R17A that go with the Engine change to the longer stroke "245" Big Six. Wasn't that in Late '49?
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                There may be a just few differences between the R16, R17 and the R16A, R17A that go with the Engine change to the longer stroke "245" Big Six. Wasn't that in Late '49?
                That was early in the 1949 (calendar year), which was fairly far into the 1949 (model year) production.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Those Spec Sheets have a lot of good info, thanks for posting them Richard.

Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome and information!! I will take pictures for sure as I get along on the project. I am a little nervous because I am not sure exactly what I am starting with until I can get it out of the garage and take a good look at it. I remember it to be in nice shape for as old as it was, but that was long ago.... Once I am able to get inside and check out the tags inside the door, I am sure I'll have more questions!!

Scotty B

Comment

Working...
                    X