New person and have a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: New person and have a few questions

Hello, I'm new to Studebakers (still don't have one, but looking) but not new to old cars. I have some stockers and some hot rods, all pre '64. I've built or restored most of them myself and now I'm looking for a '59-'61 Lark 2dr wagon to get the girlfriend off the smog radar here (Orange county, Ca.). I've been reading up on these and have a few questions, mainly what's the difference in the wagons between the 6 cyl and V8. Say both 2dr and both a 1959 (or if anyone wants to add up to '61 and 4dr that would be great also). I've read that's there's a difference on the 2 and 4 dr cars but it's not too clear about the wagons.

Thanks for any help.

Dan

First off, welcome to the forum ! All Lark wagons share the same 113" wheelbase. Rear quarter panels on wagons are welded units while the other models have bolted on panels. On most other models the thickness of the frame itself varies but I'd have to check the service manual on that point. 1963 and later Wagonaire wagons have the large X member and weights on the front end panel like convertibles.

I bought a 59 2 door wagon this past November. It was a 6 cylinder, 3 speed overdrive that came with a (weak) Dana 23 rear end. It did not have a front sway bar, the brakes are smaller (10 inch front/9 inch rear) & the springs are softer, especially the fronts. So far I have upgraded the rear end to a Dana 44 with flanged axles from a 66 parts car, changed the front brakes to disc brakes (Jim Turner kit) installed power steering from a 63 Cruiser along with all new hoses, Delrin control arm bushings up front, NOS H.D. shocks in the rear and replaced the front floor (cut out from another parts car) from the toeboard to in front of the rear seat bottom. I am also installing a 1" front sway bar from an 84 Olds Cutlass.

I have the service manual & parts books that I can reference for any other help. You can contact me by using the PM (private message)above here. I'm available for any questions or if you want to take a drive, come on over & you can see & we can talk.
    Last edited by Warren Webb; 07-07-2015, 07:35 AM.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Hey oldtimer -

I'm just up the street in Covina. I have both a 59 and a 60 2dr wagon, (along with others !). Looks like Warren has answered most of your questions.
      PM me if you need any help.

The V-8 is MUCH prefeable to the 6 for daily driving. I know, I have both in my stash of Studebakers.

Mike

Comment

I agree about the V8 being better for driving Mike, but I was surprised at how much more power the '61 six has (over head valves you know!) compared to the flat head used in '60 and earlier.
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I also am new. I just purchased a studebaker guy bought it in 63 had since. I need a gas tank. Its a 58 cammander. Can someone tell me where to get one? Also does anyone have a picture from the bottom side?
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the info and comments. I did find 2 local (2 for one price), one is a 6 and the other is an 8 (not sure if they're sold yet). I would like a driver but these are hard to find, so I might have to make some room and time. My newest car is a '64, then they go down to a '28 and the Lark wagon would be a daily driver for her.......I work on new cars but don't like to own them. I was really wondering if there was any difference between the 6 and 8 (other then drivetrain), to help make a decision which one to build or which parts to swap. Even if those cars are gone the info will help in the future when I'm still looking. I do understand that the '61 seems to be different and harder to find some parts for so I might stick with the '59-'60.

I've noticed that they like to rust in the lower fenders, 1/4's and doors (depending on the state), I assume the front sheetmetal from all the lines will fit. How about the doors, will a 2dr car door fit a 2dr wagon.

Thanks again everyone. Mike and Warren I might just take you up on the PMs when I find something.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by 1oldtimer View Post
              /cut/ (1) i was really wondering if there was any difference between the 6 and 8 (other then drivetrain), to help make a decision which one to build or which parts to swap. /cut/

Yes the front springs, and all of the wheel brake assy's and drums are larger on V8's: 10" front, 9" rear, vs 11" front, 10" rear.
              Also V8's have Dana/Spicer model 44 heavier duty rear axles. And, there are different type and duty front stabilizer bars on V8's.

(2) i do understand that the '61 seems to be different and harder to find some parts for so i might stick with the '59-'60./cut/

There is way more difference in '60 vs '61 Sedans than Wagons.
              There are easier to find parts as well as harder to find ones on '61's so I would not count them out for that!

Many unseen new changes were made, a BIG one is the cowl vent, forced fresh air heating and defrosting Climatizer system, a huge improvement.

The Steering Gear, King Pins and alignment specs. Were improved, making it easy to find '61 to '66 Parts.

Suspended Brake and Clutch Pedals were added, an improvement, again making newer car parts easy to find in good condition.

(3) i've noticed that they like to rust in the lower fenders, 1/4's and doors (depending on the state), i assume the front sheetmetal from all the lines will fit./cut/

Yes front "doghouses" are the same between Body Styles. The worst place for Rust is the Rear edge of the Front Fenders even in drier areas, due to washing.

(4) how about the doors, will a 2dr car door fit a 2dr wagon./cut/

No, those are a "no-fit", yes they look alike but are not, the integral window frames are different, and not removeable without a torch.

/cut/

dan
              xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx System Required New Text xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Click image for larger version

Name:	59 Regal Wagon Red.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1699223 A '59 Regal 2 Dr. Wagon, the ONLY Year Top of the Line Regal 2 dr. Lark Wagons were built.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	61 wagon Blue.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1699224 A '61 Deluxe 2 Dr. Lark VI Wagon with 1960 Tail Lights.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 07-07-2015, 09:21 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a pair of hardtop/convertible doors & have thought of trying them on the 59 wagon & seeing what I would have to do for weatherstripping etc. The basic openings are the same, it would make it really "different" for sure. The glass would have a different taper on the rear edge which means I'd have to rework the chrome frames but the thought really makes me wonder.......
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

That's nice to know, she works in retail so mall type parking lots (spare panels are needed). Everything old I have (cars, equipment, tools.....) gets put back to work here. So the search is on for a local, fairly inexpensive, complete, could be with some work driver.

Again.. thanks for all the info and help, I can see this is a great board.

Comment

Working...
                  X