Oil Breather Cap Fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Breather Cap Fit

I just had the rocker covers for our GT Hawk chromed. The new chrome oil breather caps from SI would not fit. The ID is to small. My first thought was that the oil breather caps were the wrong size. However, the old oil breather caps also would not fit. It appears the process of applying the chrome causes enough increase in the tube diameter to create an interference fit. I guess I should have instructed the shop to tape the fill tubes to prevent plating in this area. I guess I can use emery cloth to remove the chrome materials. Maybe my error caused by a lack of knowledge will help someone else from having this problem.

Perry
    '23 Special Six,
    '50 Business Champ,
    '50 Starlight Champ,
    '60 Lark droptop,
    '63 GT R1
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

You are exactly right. I had the same problem. The new show chrome process really stacks on the material. You will probably need a grinder as emery will take you forever. You would think the platers would know the problem by now.
    Nels

Comment

You are exactly right. I had the same problem. The new show chrome process really stacks on the material. You will probably need a grinder as emery will take you forever. You would think the platers would know the problem by now.
      Nels

Comment

Just spent 15 minutes a side making mine fit because of plating build up, next time I'll tell the plater to tape it.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,439.30
        63 Lark 2 door
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Just spent 15 minutes a side making mine fit because of plating build up, next time I'll tell the plater to tape it.

JDP/Maryland
          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
          spent to date $54664,75
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,439.30
          63 Lark 2 door
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment