Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chop a 1961 lark wagon?

Hey guys,
    I've got a thought that I wanted to run by everyone and hear what you have to say. I'm in the mood for a vintage automobile. I've got two choices at hand. I've got a 1949 international pickup that, if restored, would be brought back to original condition. I also have a 1961 lark wagon. I'm leaning more towards the lark. The body is in decent shape but it is in need of new floor panels. I was at a car show over the weekend and got inspired to build somewhat of a hot rod. Looking at this car, it can be somewhat laughable to imagine this car as a hot rod. This is a four door model, would be better if it was a two door. I would like to chop the top on this. Also I would like to take the back door windows out and the glass and put sheet metal on top to create sort of a panel car, if that makes sense. I don't think I want to paint it. Get everything down to bare metal, give it an acid bath to give it some patina. I would like to put air bags on it and when driven, lower it close to the ground. Envisioning it, it sounds cool, but wanted to get the pros thoughts on it. The car is my dads and he thinks it belongs in a junk yard, but I disagree. What are your thoughts on my doing this? Thanks for your help.
    Andy

Have you started AND FINISHED a major project before? If not, then choose the International.

Comment

Yes I have. I have restored a couple tractors. I am a welding instructor and metalworking teacher at a high school and feel confident on this project but just wondering if this sort of surgery has been done to a studey?

Comment

Chopped is much better than junked but I know a local builder that has converted a few four door sedans into chopped two doors and the work is not for the faint of heart. A wagon would be less work but still a challenge.

IIWY, I'd take a few pictures of both vehicles, print them up and see what you can do to make them look like what you want by cutting and pasting unless you are a photoshop expert. If you find something you like the looks of, start taping the vehicle off and look at the work involved. Then remember that there are a lot of cheap unfinished projects out there.

If you think you can pull it off then forge ahead fearlessly. What's the worst that can happen.

BTW, Welcome and post your progress if you chose to go forward.

Bob
        Last edited by sweetolbob; 07-05-2015, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Chop Dat Lark !

Comment

It could look kinda like this. one MEAN machine (as long as you don't wear a top hat).
            Click image for larger version

Name:	zzz chop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1699198

Comment

That would be quite a job on the best of days. If it were me, I'd find a 1949-50 Ford coupe or Tudor sedan to chop and channel. Would look so much better done than the Lark IMHO.
              Sell the Lark and go shopping.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Perhaps price out what it will cost just to have the windshield & tailgate glass cut down for the chop you intend to do, then decide.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

My advice has always been that if it's a decent survivor car that's close to original and doesn't need much work, restore it to stock or leave it alone. If it's a basket case that has one wheel in the scrap yard, then have at it and build a custom. Personally though I'm a purist.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                    My advice has always been that if it's a decent survivor car that's close to original and doesn't need much work, restore it to stock or leave it alone. If it's a basket case that has one wheel in the scrap yard, then have at it and build a custom. Personally though I'm a purist.
                    X2
                    Studebakers rarely show up at car shows, and when's the last time you saw a Studebaker station wagon on the road? A nicely restored wagon running around would be a real attention getter.

A year ago I read that a father had passed away and the son inherited his very nicely restored Model A. The son dumped acid on the car and chopped it into a rat rod. How's that for showing disrespect for his dad? What a waste of a nice Model A.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                      Perhaps price out what it will cost just to have the windshield & tailgate glass cut down for the chop you intend to do, then decide.
                      In my opinion the glass is a major issue. Here in Louisville KY., there is a guy that is well known in the custom world that does chopped tops on most anything.
                      I recently saw a '59 Chebby that he chopped. Rather than cut the windshield, he lowered the glass into the body. By doing it this way, it uses the stock windshield gasket, not to mention a stock glass. Very slick

Comment

You can make it easier to look at without modifying the body. cheers. There are plenty unwanted Frankenstudes on the market now. no offense. My opinion. cheers jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

The roof on anything after the 40's unless a truck are not that high to start with and just look out of place when chopped. There's a lot of other things you can do to a wagon to draw a crowd. Like maybe build it into a woody.

Comment

Sounds like a fun project (for a short person)..
                            I have some pic's from an SDC meet of a modified LArk 4 door wagon, with a sweet custom leather interior.
                            Liked that car a LOT... Room for friends, easy in and out.... Looked nice!
                            Most long roof chops take two roofs to do it right...
                            Chopped tops, while cool, are best when outside, or inside...
                            It's the getting in and getting out that gets old after a while...
                            Whatever you do.... Don't get too carried away!
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'd do the lark with a mild chop, build it the way you want it. Its only a car, sure you don't see them often restored to original, but make it fun to drive. Survivor or not its your car, I'd rather start with a solid survivor. It will save you time and money in the end, I would price out the glass..it can be pretty spendy for custom glass. Good luck!
                              1955 Champion Coupe ('53 clone) project. Hawk Dash 160 speedo, tach, vac. Torque Thrusts.

Comment

Working...
                              X