Avanti R2 on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti R2 on TV

I just saw a red one on "What's My Car Worth". It didn't sell at 30k. I bet if they took off all the Studebaker and Avanti badges and substituted Chevrolet Bel Air or Corvette it would have sold instantaneously. People are so brainwashed and such crowd-followers.
    peter lee

I agree with Peter and still feel that if people would have bought cars for quality, craftsmanship, fuel economy, and good style, instead of name recognition, Studebaker would still be in business and the big three would be the underdogs.

Comment

One would think that lower production figures of well built, dependable cars would warrant higher interest and higher prices among astute collectors . One would assume that having something different than everybody else would be a priority with collectors. Here in the U.S., however, it's Ford's and Chevy's and Chrysler's, predominately. I find most car shows I've been to simply boring. It's the same old same old cars. Wish we had more orphan car shows here in the Southwest....T.J.

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
        One would think that lower production figures of well built, dependable cars would warrant higher interest and higher prices among astute collectors . One would assume that having something different than everybody else would be a priority with collectors. Here in the U.S., however, it's Ford's and Chevy's and Chrysler's, predominately. I find most car shows I've been to simply boring. It's the same old same old cars. Wish we had more orphan car shows here in the Southwest....T.J.
        IIRC the mantra of the old car market is you buy what you lusted after in your younger years, so that puts most orphan marques at a distinct disadvantage to the big three.

As an aside, could someone please explain to me what sets the orphans (I'll guess Studebaker in this case) above the big three in quality and dependability? I'm just askin' for a friend.

Bob

Comment

I don't know about build quality or anything like that but when I went looking for a classic car to own I went for the look. I spent countless hours on the internet looking at different makes and models but when I came across the Studebaker GT I knew I found the car I wanted. To my eye the 62-64 GT Hawks were among the best looking cars of their era. The fact that it wasn't a Ford or Chevy only made it that much sweeter for me, everywhere you look are Fords and Chevys. I wanted something classy but also something different, something you didn't see everywhere and I got it with my 62 GT. You guys know the feeling when you're out driving your Studebaker and you get the looks, the horn honks, the thumbs up as you drive buy and the big smiles you see on the passing faces when people know they've seen something different and the few, very few, knowing smiles from people who know what you're driving. When I see the smiles I don't care so much about the oil leaks and the pitted chrome I just sit back and enjoy the ride.
          Last edited by wlfrench; 07-02-2015, 06:07 PM.
          I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Ditto Tom,I've felt that way at about age 12. "and this is just MY own opinion" - I don't get it when some one says Studebakers are ugly "they just don't know what else too say" due too follow every body else mentality.truth be Studebakers are the attractive cars with cleaner crisp and more seamless in appearance lines.I feel it's the other makes "the big three included" that might be the ugly ones with some of their body lines.
            Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
            I agree with Peter and still feel that if people would have bought cars for quality, craftsmanship, fuel economy, and good style, instead of name recognition, Studebaker would still be in business and the big three would be the underdogs.
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
              I just saw a red one on "What's My Car Worth". It didn't sell at 30k. I bet if they took off all the Studebaker and Avanti badges and substituted Chevrolet Bel Air or Corvette it would have sold instantaneously. People are so brainwashed and such crowd-followers.
              On the other hand, 30K was a good price compared to many auctions where 20-25k is all that's bid. If the bidder had won, the next time there was one up for bid it might draw a higher bid, and so on and so on. The auction history of Avanti's seem to be they never reach reserve and don't sell. Maybe if we could sell some their values would go up.

Comment

Why do I own a Studebaker as a classic car? Low purchase price, Great company history, Not many at local shows so it's different, Great national and local club network, Parts are readily available to fix and maintain them, Enough of them were sold that they bring back memories for a lot of people at shows and other Studebaker owners are a great group of people. These things make them fun to own but not something that attracts a lot of buyers and big prices. Low prices equals low value in many buyers eyes.

Why I probably would not have bought one as a new car (besides the fact that they were out of the car business by the time I was old enough to be a new car buyer). In my location in the northeast they rusted very noticeably and quickly, rapid depreciation, dealerships in my area were small and off the main drag, from the mid 50's their prices were Buick level with low end Chevy features, they were struggling to stay in the car business.

Ken

Comment

My wife and I are having a great time showing our "47 M5 1/2 ton truck at the local shows here.
                  .....It is special when we take "Stella" to shows that are deep in the heart of Chevy, Mopar, and Ford muscle car country and come away with a division plaque, or a Best of Show award. We get a lot of comments from the Judges and walk on guests, such as where has Studebaker been? Why ain't they made any more? How come you have the only Studebaker here? And so on.

Comment

Working...
                  X